• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WalMart Antifreeze

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone had a post a week or so ago saying their is a special anti-freeze for HD Diesel engines? Since the 543 had every drop of fluid removed when I picked it up, the anti-freeze is brand new! Can I add the missing component or do I have to drain and start over???
James G.

JDToumanian

I would just get the additive - it's called "Supplemental Cooling Additive" or just "SCA", and it's available at any heavy truck parts place or at dealerships like Cat/Cummins/Detroit/International, etc. There are test strips for checking that the level is correct, and it's a good idea to check a few times a year as the additives "go away" over time and need to be replenished every so often.

The "special coolants" that were referred to (like the Chevron DELO I use, or the Texaco coolant that Bjorn uses, or the Cummins coolant that Will uses) are simply coolant that already has the SCAs mixed in... which is, as far as I know, the only thing that makes those brands different from WalMart, Prestone, Peak, etc.

Regards,
Jon

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just make sure you get one that is compatable with aluminum and add the SCA.

Pinkie

In all the diesel motors we run, we buy the cheapest antifreeze from where ever and add the SCAs to it. Never had a moments problem.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought some wal-mart antifreeze. It looked like urine when i poured it into the rad. So i went back to peek. It was still green. Where do ya'll get the SCA's? And are there different brands?

houdel

ken said:
I bought some wal-mart antifreeze. It looked like urine when i poured it into the rad. So i went back to peek. It was still green. Where do ya'll get the SCA's? And are there different brands?
Yes, there are different SCA packages - at least two that I am aware of, and they are NOT compatible. And the test strips are SPECIFIC to the SCA additive package, so make sure you get your SCA and test strips from the same source and they are compatible with each other!