• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want/forsale adds

3dAngus

For those of you who are "uninitited" the software world, or Information Technology, even System Administration, there is an even more stressful and challanging world out there in the Medical Technology software called MUMPS.

If you are young and going to college with hopes of getting into Medical Technology using computers, you want to avoid having anything to do with working with MUMPS, which in many cases, is a mandate.

Just trust me, as I have heard it from the best, MUMPS is a mundane nightmare that will drive you a little crazy every now and then, and if you are really good at it to the point your rewrite an extensive amound of software with it, you are probably already a goner anyway.

It can be a really tough job. I never was involved in it personally. I was involved in an unrelated high tech field dealing with DOD flight, and made some friends in my lifetime in most all other high technology fields. Dealing with MUMPS is the one field I could easily afford to avoid.

Patracy,, hope you haven't been affected by the MUMPS. <grin>

area52

Both ideas are great - and will be implemented when I design the new classified section, as well as a bunch of other new features ;-)

They will NOT be a forum section.... for previously stated reasons, as well as new ones (related to the new features that will be available...)

Hey Mike,

Don't know if Chris talked to you yet, but I will help out however I can with the classifieds. Its one of my pet peeves to see "wrong ads" or "misuse" in there.

hope I can help ya out!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oh gawd.... must.... lie...... down........

Fortunately MUMPS isn't my nightmare. Although I am becoming involved with a Centricity project. :(

My pain comes in the form of the 800lb gorilla in the room when it comes to medical application companies. I admin the clinicals system for a very large healthcare firm in the metro Atlanta area. It's a ~40 node cluster comprised of linux and hpux servers. There's about 10K users that access the system. And last I checked we're up into double digit terabytes of data. (I'll have to check the SAN tomorrow) The pain comes in by the vendor's nature. We need X feature. We'll just by out that coding from someone else and duct tape it to what we have. :oops:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, disregard any percieved stone chucking that may or may not have occured between myself and patracy. We have spoken in PMs and all is just fine. We both may have gotten rubbed the wrong way just a bit!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Folks, disregard any percieved stone chucking that may or may not have occured between myself and patracy. We have spoken in PMs and all is just fine. We both may have gotten rubbed the wrong way just a bit!
Yeah you did rub me the wrong way. I told you I'm not gay. After the 7th or 8th time, it just wasn't for me!

:grd:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I think I get it...a 40 node cluster of linux and hpux servers is a hectic thingy!
And double digit terabytes needs an "X" feature or duct tape.;-)

patracy you prolly need to talk with Wreckerman for about an hour....your problems will then seem trivial:lol:

3dAngus

Mike,
I have no idea how things work and am not sure if you get software change requests or what. ie. I discussed this with Clinto so maybe you already know.

I would like to see $cost be a required field. I would never advertise anything on SS without full transparancy. Everyone should know what people are asking for whatever they sell without going any further than the classified. Please take this in consideration if you have not gotten the word yet. I just find it incredibly annoying someone would advertise something for sale and not tell you what they want. Theres a lot of abuse there, IMO. My two cents worth...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
I have no idea how things work and am not sure if you get software change requests or what. ie. I discussed this with Clinto so maybe you already know.

I would like to see $cost be a required field. I would never advertise anything on SS without full transparancy. Everyone should know what people are asking for whatever they sell without going any further than the classified. Please take this in consideration if you have not gotten the word yet. I just find it incredibly annoying someone would advertise something for sale and not tell you what they want. Theres a lot of abuse there, IMO. My two cents worth...

This!!!!!

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Mike,

The only problem with this is when someone is parting out a truck, "call or PM me, let me know WHAT your looking for" seems to work better, since the seller can't price every part on the truck, it would be 3 pages long

3dAngus

The only problem with this is when someone is parting out a truck, "call or PM me, let me know WHAT your looking for" seems to work better, since the seller can't price every part on the truck, it would be 3 pages long
Perhaps spin off your original idea, and put those in a special category? "Vehicle parting out"?

Even for something like this, they could still (as a courtesy) list some prices. I saw an ad where a fella was parting out a truck recently, and he gave a for instance, where he listed the price of the axles. Gave a fair idea for the knowlegeable, what median prices would be, and whether or not it might be worth a call, or if he was one of those looking to make a million bucks on parting out a truck.

I would have called that guy, if I had a similiar vehicle.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's what we do on my other site. Just ask people to price a few items from the vehicle and they're free to state they're parting out the rest. It helps potential buyers gauge what prices a seller might be inclined to ask.

Dave Kay

Ok, at the risk of offending delicate sensabilities, I have a actual SUGGESTION here for the wants/For-Sale:

Location, location, location! (I'm not yelling)

Don't know about anyone else, but when I have to open nearly every ad just to see WHERE the item is located, I'm not going to bother with half of them. Maybe even less! And correct me if I'm wrong, but currently, it appears it's up to the postee if they want to get some interest in their post, to actually SHOW their location. But strangely, some don't even bother.:cookoo:

So my profound, weighty, deeply pondered and otherwise simple suggestion: please make the wants/For-Sale poster's LOCATION mandatory.

Thank you8)

frogman2

Do away with this ridiculous 100 minimum post before you can list something for sale.What difference does it make how many posts you have?I would much rather have someone posting stuff the community might could use rather than him posting 100 pointless "Nice Ride" "My Dream Truck" and so on before he is allowed to post a Classifed Ad.I was able to post them awhile back but now cannot?I have been on this board a couple of years registered and a few more lurking and will generally contact someone privately rather than beating my gums for the whole world to hear and cluttering up the forums with idle chatter.When I listed something for sale or a want ad I listed my email address and a phone number anyways,so why is this in place to begin with?What is the gain in doing this and cluttering up legit posts with worthless pointless post by guys trying to build their post counts high enough to be able to list something in the Classified section.

3dAngus

Starting to make me wonder if the site gets an increase in revenue from advertising with an increase in hits per site. That would explain the otherwise irrational conclusions drawn on the 100 post minimum. Maybe if we made regular donations of $5 per month....

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Starting to make me wonder if the site gets an increase in revenue from advertising with an increase in hits per site. That would explain the otherwise irrational conclusions drawn on the 100 post minimum. Maybe if we made regular donations of $5 per month....
It's my understanding there is NO revenue to the site other than member contributions and the FEW paying advertisers.

This site has a perfect model in our own government.
A few folks (owners and mods) do all the work on the site and SOME folks pay into the system (thru donations), and an even smaller number of folks pay actual dues (taxes) for advertising.

I gotta tell ya, 5 dollars per month would be one heck of boon for the site owners and would even allow them the luxury of actually paying themselves and prolly even the Mods a little for their efforts.

Looking at the front page, I saw 28,895 registered members.
Let's just say that all those members sent in 5 dollars a year...by my calculator that would be $144,475 per year in donations!!!!
(I can tell you...that don't happen)

What REALLY happens is the few (taxpayers if you will) pay into the system (site) and prolly 28,000 of the 28,895 "registered members" sit back and enjoy the labor of others and/or complain about the "free services" they receive.

I don't mean to offend anyone with this post, nor do I mean it to be...or become political...it just relays the frustrations of a hard working ole feller that loves this site.[thumbzup]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks