• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to change unit #'s on my M38A1

I'm looking to change the unit numbers on my M38A1. It currently has the 4077th MASH HQ5 on it. I would kinda like to get away from that. Something post Korea but pre-VietNam. I'm kinda in the dark on this. Eventually my jeep will be a radio jeep and I really wouldn't see a MASH unit having a radio jeep(but I could be wrong) in use and I don't really know any units right off the top of my head. If anyone would have a suggestion I'm all ears! I will also need to know how the stencil would be layed out if it were on the front bumper and rear bumprettes. Thanks!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Biggest question, what kind of unit? are you looking at a combat unit (IE Infantry) or something Engineer wise? Support role wise? Radio Jeeps would have existed in most Headquarters of units. So, pretty much everything is game at some level.

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an authentic "in-service" pic for you.
My Dad was a tank driver stationed in Germany around 1960-1961.
He also chauffered a high-ranking officer as additional duty. (I think he said it was a General ;-) )
Here is "his" M38A1.
I believe the unit numbers indicate:
7th Army, 14th Armored Cavalry.

60-61 Germany.jpg

I wish he was still around for me to ask him. :-( RIP

steelandcanvas

Infantry and Engineers are not the only ones that had ambulances, You have Armor, Artillery, Hospitals, and Medical Detatchments, just to name a few. But if you would like to honor Jeff's (JWCrusher) Father, you could do that also, I'm sure Jeff would approve.

Last edited:
I read through the pdf file last night & I am a little confused on how the unit #'s would be layed out on the bumper. Such as the 38th Div, 138th AAA. Could I make up an HQ & vehicle numbers? So If I wanted it to look correct it would be 5A-38-138-2 Which this would be 5th Army, 38th Div, 138th, vehicle 2, correct?

steelandcanvas

This is what I came up with: 5A 38INF 138AAA on one side of the bumper, and this on the other: HQ 2 or whatever you choose for your vehicle number. 5A is 5th Army, 38INF is 38th Infantry Division, 138AAA is 138th Anti-Aircraft Artillery. I had to Google the 38th to find out what kind of Division they were. Hope this helps, with proper placement according the TB all you need is stencils and paint! Anybody else come up with somethiong different?

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, I lost track of this thread, but I wanted to follow up.
I think I'm going to put my grandfathers unit on. . . . .
That sounds like a fine idea. That would be a great tribute.
Do you recall what Kaserne he was at in Germany?
Jonathan, I don't even know what that means. :oops: Is there another word for that?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks