• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Want to see pics of gov. locker in CUCV's

ford381stroker

I have seen Detroit lockers and know what they look like but does any one have any pictures of the actual lockers that come in the M1009 and M1008's?

I have an opportunity to purchase a couple and want to make sure I am getting what the seller says they are.

Thanks for the help!

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting ready to change my oil, just so I don't have to take the "look at this mess" photos. Which additive is best for these?

aboonski

I just pulled the back off of a 12 bolt rear differential that is sitting in a '79 K5 Blazer and it looks like the Gov Lock setup in the photos that Westech just posted. No idea what the ratio is though. I will start a new thread to post photos of the internals in a few minutes.

AJMBLAZER

If the truck has the original axles and gears check for a build sheet in the glove box. The RPO codes will tell which ratio it has.

aboonski

Just looked in the glove box but there's no data sheet like the ones that I saw in my 80's K5s. Is there another area that they posted this information in the 79 models? I will probably jack up the rear or front and rotate the tires to count revolutions of the driveshaft and tires to get a ballpark of the ratio. I have heard you mark the tire and driveshaft and turn the shaft until the tire goes 360 degrees and the number of complete and partial revolutions of the driveshaft determines the ratio of the gears. I hope this is correct because I am going back out to do just tht right now.

kurtkds

If you still have the cover off of the rear end, you can look on the ring gear for some numbers. The ones your looking for would be something like 11:41. the 11 stands for the number of teeth on the pinion and the 41 stands for the teeth on the ring gear. divide the second # by the first and that will give you your gear ratio. 41 divided by 11 gives you 3.73

Hope this helps you figure your ratio out.

aboonski

Thanks kurtkds! I'll take the cover back off tomorrow to find the data on the ring gear and will post photos when I locate it. I will probably have to jack up the entire rear end to turn the gears. I really thought I had something when I looked at the carrier in this rear!

kurtkds

All you have to do is jack up one tire and put the tranny in neutral and spin the jacked up tire to get the carrier to turn. I'll post some pics of what the numbers look like.

The other numbers are part numbers and month/ year of manufacture.

Attachments

Last edited:

aboonski

Thanks Kurt! I'll do another post tomorrow when I find the numbers. This K5 was a "trailering Special" (had that icon on the back fender of the Blazer) so who knows what the ratio will be.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks