• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanted: Clean M1009 to back up daily driver.

K5NUTT

Been mulling this over for a while...and even though i allready have 8 K5's in various stages of dis repair....lol...i think i want to find a super clean M1009 so i have a turn key road ready back up for my work truck...a 2006 2500 HD Dmax that seems to always develop an issue at the last minute. So i figured i'd start here as this has to be the best resource on the web for such a critter. Bone stock is fine....however upgraded units are ok along the lines of M1008 axles...4 inch lift....winter kit...700R4...banks turbo kit...M101A3 trailer...12V Conversion...A/C...etc. Email is k5nutt@hotmail.com if anybody has a lead on what i seek. Will be seeking more diligently in a month or so. Was looking for a price range of $3500 to $5K as i am sure a clean extremely well maintained unit should be in said price range. Thanx guys!

DW

AJMBLAZER

Only trouble with the pickups (including those) is the lack of OD, 4.56's, and 31" tall tires. So they're slow and loud no matter what. OD gear and bigger tires make them not as loud and more drivable.

K5NUTT

AJM.....hhmmm...older than dirt CK5 member like myself i think?
Anyways the 1010 or 1031 wouldn't be bad for me as it will be used for oilfield transportation to and from the rig.
Of course...there is always the 4L80E or gear vendors route to cure the non o/d issue.
Both variants have a cube on the rails that could haul all my gear quite nicely and securely.
The 1010 will have a/c in the cab and the box...and with a lil work i'd have a nice non descript camper as well....
that could be comfy to sleep in with a/c...for trips to phx etc.
I think the biggest issue is finding the cherry example to start with....

hndrsonj....shoot me some pics and whats been done to her besides paint....balljoints...trans...etc.

DW

AJMBLAZER

Yep, we've seen each other around. I finally have a 73-87 GM again though.

Look up some of the stuff on the Gear Venders units over on CK5. MaxPF did some research and was less than impressed.
One thing to consider is that the M1010 has the goofy electrical system.
You're in the right part of the country to find good CUCV's though. Lots more good condition ones in your region and further south and west than we have.

K5NUTT

Got 6 acres out here in fruita colorado i visit 2 or 3 days a month when not drilling ahead out in the hills. Problem is i have 8 K5's already....have zero time to work on or modify them anymore so i need a cherry to garage and be ready to haul buns when the need arises...does anybody specialize in and or restore cucv's?
Define goofy...after 11 years with freightliner doing nearly 6 hrs a day in that department you have my intrest picqued....lol.

DW

AJMBLAZER

Do a search here for M1010. I'd imagine several threads will show up with people bitching, waxing philosophical, and trying to fix the odd wiring on the M1010's. Even the military never truly fixed it from what I've seen on here.
It's not the same as all the rest of the CUCV's. Something to do with the AC system. Thebird00 over on CK5 has one and has been dinking with it lately.

There's a few places that specialize in them...I can recommend one to AVOID at all costs.

K5NUTT

I'll post a wanted at ck5 and see what i dredge up. Then i shall learn to use craigslist...never have done a search on it.
Resto might be a grander word than i intend...refurb might be a better word. If you want pm whom to stay away from
so i can avoid a pitfall.

DW

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks