• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

(wanted) success stories on 6.2l svo/wvo conv.

endurance

I was hoping to hear about, and see successful svo/wvo conversion setups on the 6.2l diesel. What problems you've had, and how to avoid them? I've heard the injection pump is prone to failure running veg oils, because the pump relies on the cooling and lubricity of the diesel fuel. Any and all ideas are welcome to avoid heart ache, especially if they've worked for you. Thanks in advance, Jake.

superburban

Cooling is not an issue, as the injection pump is bolted to a giant heater (the engine). The IP will pretty much be the same temp as the engine.

I have about 30k miles on my Superburban since my SVO conversion. I am on my 5th IP! The problem was that I was bent on switching over way too soon on cold mornings. It's not a problem for me, because I have an almost unlimited supply of used IPs for about 30$ apiece. If you take on this project, get a spare and get familiar with how to change/time an IP.

In spite of the the learning curve that cost me 4 ruined IPs, I would recomend the conversion. I can run on free veggie when all of the suckers are paying 4$ per gallon!

bruno_rs

Re: RE: (wanted) success stories on 6.2l svo/wvo conv.

superburban said:
Cooling is not an issue, as the injection pump is bolted to a giant heater (the engine). The IP will pretty much be the same temp as the engine.

I have about 30k miles on my Superburban since my SVO conversion. I am on my 5th IP! The problem was that I was bent on switching over way too soon on cold mornings. It's not a problem for me, because I have an almost unlimited supply of used IPs for about 30$ apiece. If you take on this project, get a spare and get familiar with how to change/time an IP.

In spite of the the learning curve that cost me 4 ruined IPs, I would recomend the conversion. I can run on free veggie when all of the suckers are paying 4$ per gallon!
hey super, i see you're running both the svo system (truck) AND bio system (garage?). i may be able to line myself up with a few reputable wvo sources... how much did it cost to convert your "burban" and the what would you say the degree of difficulty is to correctly install these systems? also, same question re. your bio set up. thanks, looking forward to hearing from you. have a good one.

superburban

RE: Re: RE: (wanted) success stories on 6.2l svo/wvo conv.

That's a difficult question to answer, the one about the degree of difficulty, because it's only as difficult as your skill level makes it. I spent about 1k$ on my conversion. It has paid for it'self many times over after two years and 30k miles! I do make bio too (yes I have a garage). Before you undertake either an SVO conversion, or making bio, you need to spend many hours on http://biodiesel.infopop.cc to learn the basics. I am hard headed and fell into almost every time-wasting pitfall along the way. Save yourself the time and frustration and follow the beginner's guides on this link.

Wolfie

RE: Re: RE: (wanted) success stories on 6.2l svo/wvo conv.

Converting my m1009 in August...I'll let you know how it goes...

superburban

Re: RE: Re: RE: (wanted) success stories on 6.2l svo/wvo con

uh60 said:
Now that you have it down is it working well for you?
Yes. I have a 93 Chevy K3500 that I run on bio now too. I think I will have a diesel vehicle or 2 till I die, because I am hooked on the bio and SVO thing!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

superburban said:
I have about 30k miles on my Superburban since my SVO conversion. I am on my 5th IP! The problem was that I was bent on switching over way too soon on cold mornings.......
How do the pumps fail? Do they all fail the same way?

superburban

cranetruck said:
How do the pumps fail? Do they all fail the same way?
Yes, allways in the same manner: Shaft shears off at the head. All of my failures were in the first 5k miles on veggie, the last one has lasted me 25k miles, because I revised my procedures to include longer warm-ups.

rwright07

i have been running my blazer w. a 6.5 on 80-85% WMO filtered to 5 microns for over a month now without issue. No problems with cold or hot starting, no excessive smoke, no fuel filter changes, no nothing. The engine runs MUCH MUCH quieter and i felt a slight power gain over #2.

I live in the CA central coast so it doesnt get cold enough here for me to really worry about the fuel being too dense/viscous.

so far ive run around 150 gallons and my roommate has run near 200 at 50% WMO with his 95 Cummins 12V.

I am soon going to turn up my pump becuase it is now sooooooo cheap to drive ( around $.02 a mile vs nearly $.33 when diesel was at $5.50 a gal)

The 6.2/6.5 is an Indirect Injection Diesel, that utilizes a swirling effect caused by the precombustion chamber to atomize the fuel rather than extremely high fuel pressure.

This is similar to what goes on in a multifuel, but it was further designed for even combustion of alternative fuels.

P.M me for more info

kentuckycucv

I filter wvo down to 5 microns and pour it into my ONE tank... I run a mix...But I am never sure what my ratio is. I just go for it. So far so good in the hot summer. No wvo when its cold.

Chief_919

Most problems I have seen with 6.2/6.5 WVO use have been from poor warm up. I suspect it comes from the switchover and the WVO being cooler and when it hits the hot IP there is some thermal shock. I have a friend who did a 6.5 and put his solenoid before the stock fuel filter, it includes a heater and I think that helps with the temp difference problem.

The other issue I have seen is WVO with water in it, I suspect it flashes to steam and the pockets of steam mean no lubrication.

cheiser666

I have also found that my 6.2 runs smoother and more power when running wmo. I try to run a 60 diesel/40 wmo. With a really sludgy used diesel oil it is a little bit slower to start in the morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks