• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanted. Tire iron handle

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll never understand why a shop will stall out a 1 inch impact wrench on every nut.

They never think how some poor guy will have to change a tire in the field.

That, and such extreme torque can waller out the hole taper badly or even split the rim where it is close to the center hole.

Torque spec for Budd nuts @ 300 ft/lbs is just fine and plenty tight.

All of you ought to get the right tools and learn the right procedures to service your own tires. It would be a small investment compared to what you have in the vehicle(s), and you won't have to scrabble around trying to find a shop that will even do them.

On a side note, when I take our Benz cars in for tire work, I have them use the factory hand wrench only, no air wrench allowed. The handle on it is but 9" long...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bar is a Ken-tool TR11, not too expensive. Air tool you need an Ingersoll Rand 285B6 extended anvil 1" impact. A Ken-tool 30150 combo Budd socket to go with it. Tire tools you need a Ken-tool T23 lock ring tool and a T11E duck bill hammer. With this setup you can remove and mount/dismount tires in 10 minutes. As long as the rim isn't rusted. Then might be a little longer.

cessnapilot89

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bar is a Ken-tool TR11, not too expensive. Air tool you need an Ingersoll Rand 285B6 extended anvil 1" impact. A Ken-tool 30150 combo Budd socket to go with it. Tire tools you need a Ken-tool T23 lock ring tool and a T11E duck bill hammer. With this setup you can remove and mount/dismount tires in 10 minutes. As long as the rim isn't rusted. Then might be a little longer.
Is splitting the ring off the rim as dangerous as people claim?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is splitting the ring off the rim as dangerous as people claim?
Not at all. On the assumption that all the air is drained out of the tire.

Where the real danger is - is not getting the ring back in place firmly and securely. The way to inflate the tire safely is to roll it into a "cage", then using a clip on air chuck, inflate the tire. Should the ring fly off, it will be captured inside the cage. Whatever you do, don't extend your head or arms over the tire. That's why you use a clip on air chuck to inflate the tire after you replace a tube or tire...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To me, if you have even the slightest bit of mechanical aptitude, it will be completely obvious if the ring is not seated prior to inflation. Remember the truck tire repair career path does not always attract the sharpest tools in the shed.

Guyfang

Staff member
When I had a soldier who needed an attitude adjustment, guess what job was up at the top of the list to do after duty hours. And without all the nice to have tools.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I won't do civvy big truck wheels with radials or lockrings..

One is a bitch, the other is just too sketchy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks