• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wanting to build a hmmwv!!

thatcherizer

I am considering tackling building a hmmwv as a winter project. I would love it to be street legal, but am unsure how difficult it would be to title/ register a build. If anyone has experience in this field I would love to pick you're brain on a few things and would love if you would pm me!!
Thanks,

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First of all, how are your technical abilities?

Second, have you been looking through the TMs? (Hmmwv's aren't your 1975 Ford F-150 when it comes drivetrains)

Third, have you consulted your local state laws regarding titling/registering?

Fourth, do you have substantially deep pockets?

You know what HMMWV stands for right? High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle. :D

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
First of all, how are your technical abilities?
Second, have you been looking through the TMs? (Hmmwv's aren't your 1975 Ford F-150 when it comes drivetrains)
Third, have you consulted your local state laws regarding titling/registering?Fourth, do you have substantially deep pockets?
You know what HMMWV stands for right? High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle. :D
All very valid points Sir...however, I think I would move your Third point to the top of the list.
Without being able to title/register the final product, what's the use??

thatcherizer

I like to consider myself pretty mechanical savvy and have worked on and built two fummins diesel pickups and restored a few military vehicles also. I know it will not be an easy or cheap build but am very willing to invest the time and money to take on such a project. I have done a fair amount of research but have not contacted the local DOR yet. Figured I'd see what other people's thoughts and ideas were that have assembled one before and registered it. I am not too terrible worried about the build part but am more concerned not being able to tile/register it to drive on the road after a large investment of time and$$$.

thatcherizer

I have been looking at both but am most likely going to buy a tub and near rolling chassis and put two and two together. I have found both but none with titles.

Augi

(Hmmwv's aren't your 1975 Ford F-150 when it comes drivetrains)
Actually they are your 1982 Chevy ;)

HMMWV's aren't so complicated once you scratch the surface. In fact, most of the maintenance is considerably easier because the thing was designed to be worked on. There is tons of room and everything bolts together for ease of replacement.

Also there are no electronics as long as you stay with the A0 drive train (6.2 + TH400 + NP218 ). The rear ends are like a Corvette and the geared hubs are pretty simple :)

With the exception of the geared hubs, everything is either standard automotive, or something that looks and functions like standard automotive, just beefed up.

Sourcing the parts is what's costly and difficult, not assembling them IMO. Although costly is a relative term anyway. Expect to spend $20-40k.

Titling is the other challenge. You may have to find a rolling chassis with a title or see if there are any hot rodders in your area who register kit cars. Save ALL of your receipts to show provenance.

Augi

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Easier is something I've heard when it comes to the drivetrain of a hummer. Or brakes.

thatcherizer

Augi and patracy thanks for all the help and valuable information!! I am going to the DOR tomorrow to title some m923's and am going to look into the registering it as a kit vehicle. I have started the slow task of acquiring parts daily!!
Thanks Again

Augi

The brakes are regular dual circuit disc brakes. The master cylinder and lines look just like a car or truck and the calipers are off of an 82 AMC or something.

Disconnect the brake line flare nut, 6 bolts to remove the half-shaft, 2 bolts to remove the caliper and you can replace the rotors and pads.

Looking at a rusted on Deuce drum makes me cringe in comparison.

Maybe it's just what a guy is used to. I don't have a deuce so all that air brake stuff is a mystery to me :)

Augi

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now this is Just me....But I have never been to concerened about titling or registering my Builds when I buy a Donor vehicle, to clarify, Thats the last thing I do, Or attempt to do, there are several ways around this in any state, you just have to be resourceful. My focus is on getting a Good Donor vehicle to do a Resto on....It might take me from 6mos to a year to do and in that time I work on getting it titled....just depends. In your case...get your Parts, Body, Frame...Gitter built...gonna take some time anyway...And work on the Last hard part, Getting it titled...Now, if you cant, you can always sell your build...just do Nice clean Non hack job work and you can get top dollar for her. while there may be alot of HMMWV's out there "Relative speaking" ....most are dirty, grimy, leaky rigs that Need some TLC....
IMHO I doubt you will find a titled Body...but not impossible, I wouldnt worry about the frame, they have no ID of any sort that is used in the Titling of the truck..that is I guess unless a past party had it done to satisfy his or her titling requirement....

ducer

Save all of your receipts!!!! Even if you buy a part from a buddy. If some one gives you a part, you buy nuts and bolts everything. You will have to show where everything came from. I had an engine and transmission laying around and used it in a project and got he11 for not having a receipt, I ended up having a buddy of mine who owned a junkyard at the time write me one to get them off of my back. The worst part was the engine and trans came from a car I owned, plated and drove and got rid of 10 years earlier.:doh:
The way I figure it we will never be able to buy a hmmwv from the government because Am General is in the business to build new vehicles. If we could buy hmmwv's from say G.L. then AM General would never be able to sell us new ones.
In reality it probably has very little or nothing to do with D.O.T. compliance. Just business.

Denny

ollied

Since 1993 i have seveal hummers and humvees. I had no 97 with my first and last m998. What a pia to get title without 97.Took me 6 months to get title to first one in 1993 and over a year to get title to last one in 2012. So try to get one with 97 or be in for along delay without one. I am 72 years old and now drive a h3, for the last 20 years my daily driver was a m998 , never broke down once with m998 , broke down several times with hummer .M0re **it on hummer to go wrong

papakb

I don't know about spacious Augi. Ever tried to replace that right side exhaust manifold? What a pure PITA! I tore up my hand doing it and never went back to install that ****ed heat shield. Allen head bolts in inaccessible places at weird angles. What a winning combination. It would almost be easier to pull the engine to work in that area! LOL with tears. But your right, the HMMWV really is a simple vehicle and if I wanted to teach auto mechanics to someone it would be a good subject.

My advice is read the manuals, look at the pictures, and learn the terminology for the truck and you'll be OK.

Kurt

Augi

I don't know about spacious Augi. Ever tried to replace that right side exhaust manifold? What a pure PITA! I tore up my hand doing it and never went back to install that ****ed heat shield. Allen head bolts in inaccessible places at weird angles. What a winning combination. It would almost be easier to pull the engine to work in that area! LOL with tears. But your right, the HMMWV really is a simple vehicle and if I wanted to teach auto mechanics to someone it would be a good subject.

My advice is read the manuals, look at the pictures, and learn the terminology for the truck and you'll be OK.

Kurt
Eh, nothing can ever be perfect. I agree, working on that side of the engine does suck, but removing the starter helps a lot. Doing the differential output seals sucks too if you have the old style hangars that aren't clearanced for seal removal.

For comparison, open the hood on a late model FWD car and see how it's all shoehorned in there. After owning this truck I hate going back and working on my Mitsubishi.

A fun point I like to make to people is that I've never had to jack it up to do anything but change a tire (or work on a geared hub, I guess). And I've done everything from dropping the fuel tank to changing the power train.

Augi

thatcherizer

Thanks for all the replies guys. I am still planning on building one just been working on some m900 series trucks lately. I have sourced a few parts slowly but surely. I think a p-pumped 12 valve cummins is going to be the power plant. I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with the 6bt or 4bt as the heart of the build and what tranny they are running?? Also any modifications to the transfercase to handle extra power?
Thanks Again!