• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

War museum show with pics

Lorax

Howdy all. A local museum had a militaria show over the weekend. Drove my new 814 there. There's normally a good range of vehicles on display. From all types of jeeps, to halftracks. And of course, the show being at a war museum means there's plenty of static displays to dream about dragging home.

This is the 814 I bought from Bruce Kubu a month or so ago. It has the extra tall cargo cover and bows. What a sweet drive.

Thanks again Bruce. A pleasure doing business with you. Hope you sell your other 814 soon.

Attachments

Lorax

Oh yeah, hopefully in another month the front winch will be installed. Also, for the museum show, the green and brown CARC paint was repainted. Haven't gotten the black/charcoal CARC paint yet. The old CARC paint was still in good condition, but now it's new. Time to paint over the "CARC 93" on the dashboard with "CARC 09".:-D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a 20 foot cargo bed. I have one more truck if anyone wants it.

Jeff, I am happy that you are enjoying the truck. It looks great! I hope it was everything I said it was!

dk8019

That's a sweet looking M814. Bkubu, you don't happen to have any more extra tall cargo covers like that do you? I've got the short one on mine right now, and it seems somewhat cramped in there. PM with details if you do.

Lorax

Glad to meet you ODI. Be sure to post pics of your M35 when the EUC clears and you're allowed to see it again (strange GL rules). Also, please post pics of the suspension repair. Maybe even do a short write up of how to do the repair?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have any other kits. I hated to part with that one...new in the crate...but Jeff insisted!

jhooah

Jeff:
In previous years I have supported (and continue to) this Museum show to the utmost of my ability (It's only 5 miles from my new house too)

I would bring the German Halftrack, DUKW, Gamma Goat, Deuce w/ DRASH shelter trailer, GPW jeep, 3/4t Command Car, TOW missile Jeep, the Weasel, a few pieces of artillery, etc. Give occasional rides to the kids and audience, and have a generally great time followed by consuming some beer which then led to me bidding high at the nightly auctions :-D It took weeks to prep everything, days to haul it, and a few weekends to replace it all in storage...Lots of sweat equity there, and it's not the only show we put on in the area.

Somewhere along the line some local vehicle owners took offense to me bringing a majority of my collection (all at the bequest of the show hosts by the way) and started saying it was "Winget's Show" or some such BS and started rumors that I was compensated for this ....yes, sometimes the Halftrack was paid for due to having a local company haul it to and from, but never any money to my pocket....

So these complainers kept their stuff at home......

Several local collectors formed the Virginia Military Preservation Association, http://www.vmpa.us so the group could become mutually supporting of the military 'collecting' and displaying hobby. Not just Military vehicles, but any military collectable the individual fancied, from buttons, books, prints, uniforms, reenactors, etc. all sharing these experiences and occasional it provided extra drivers for moving the vehicles or helping out at the shows.
We attempted to affiliate with the Military Vehicle Preservation Association (MVPA), but were told we'd have to "pay" them a share...(oh, I'm a MVPA member too, for somewhere around 25+ years so I can talk about the MVPA even back when it was the MVCC...) and it was rather exclusive, not permitting the other venues of military collecting, so we opted to stay 'independant' not-for-profit.

For the last two shows, I have not been able to participate due to my military assignment here in Afghanistan, but I am due back at the end of Oct...

Suffice it to say, next year I will be back (Northrop Grumman work permitting) and try my hardest to support the show with everything I can tow or drive to it, just like previous years.

What's disappointing is the pettiness of some to not bring their vehicles out, then say it was not a great show. Where were they:?: Just mouth pieces..be warry...:!:

I mention this, as several new SS members have sprung up recently in the Tidewater Area, and I want to encourge them to "enjoy" the hobby, display when you can, and if you need a recovery tow or a part, feel free to ask me or a VMPA member and we'll see what we can come up with or assist.

You were parked beside my Desert Storm Vet Tan M35A2 that Lee brought over by the way. Ask him about a rescue mission one 'snowy night' when the hapless driver that thought a Deuce couldn't get stuck under the powerlines in Suffolk. We showed him what a real Multi-Fuel driver could do...:wink:

Thanks for the pics of the show, you can hit the link for VMPA and see previous show participation shots as well.

Regards and look forward to meeting you soon.
W. Adrian Winget
LTC, Infantry
Kandahar, Afghanistan

VMPA M543A3 Wrecker awaiting Hyd hoses, paint and a brake job upon my return.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would like to second what Adrian (aka jhooah) said about the VMPA. I bumped in to these guys when my wife was stationed at Langley AFB from 2002 to 2006. At the time the club was just starting and I joined up with them. They are a great bunch of folks that have no problem helping other club members out if they need help with repairs or restoration work to their vehicles. They have everything from Mules to 6x6's along with guys that have large collections of military items for displays. It's a great club overall and very active with shows and parades. If you're in the Hampton Roads area give them a try.

Adrian, glad to hear you're coming back to the states and will be able to play with your toys again. Were you ever able to get that shop built or is the city still not wanting to give you the permits you need? Last month Kim put in a humanitarian reassignment request and last week the Air Force approved it. So we will be returning to the lower 48 a lot sooner then we expected. She is being transferred to MacDill AFB in Florida. This means I will be able to make it to Aberdeen next spring. Hope to see some of you guys there.

Ruppster

jhooah

Brian:
Long time no hear, glad your fine.
I will start on an "addition" to the house, that way they can't block my 'garage' as bieng too large...Additionally when the house gets 'bigger' they can't argue that the damn exterior garage is too large and not 'subordinate' to the main house.
Stupid interpretation that they allowed....If I had money I could have won, as I was legally entitiled to build, but so be it, I've regrouped and will sub it out myself due to exhorbatant costs the contractors keep trying to charge.
You will thouroughly enjoy Florida, I know several great groups down there, not to mention you can work on things without snow throughout the year LoL
Take Care.
Adrian
Freedom Flight T-17 Days woohoo!

Lorax

Adrian, hope to see you at the 2010 show. If memory serves, you had the halftrack and artillery at the 2008 show, right? I spoke a while with Lee, and he mentioned you were returning soon. Welcome back.

The weather forecast may have kept some people away from this year's show, but there were still enough cars parked all along the streets to make it near impossible to get the 814 out of there at the end of the day.

Yes, by all means, anyone that can drive or drag their MV to next year's show, please do so. There's plenty of room for them in the field, behind the good 'ol Atomic Annie cannon. There's a local un-named and un-organized group of fellows that didn't get enough fixin done to their MVs this year to bring them, but next year the plan is to have a M820A2 (expanded of course), a M816 holding some cargo boxes up with the crane, my M814, possibly my M818 thats been converted to an M813, a M35 towed in by the M816, another M35, a M109, a generator trailer, and a crap load of M105 trailers. So that's M820A2, M816, M814, M813, 2 M35s, M109, and 4 or 5 trailers. Add in the MVs that normally show up, and it'll be a blast.

Anyhoo, welcome back Adrian.