• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

War Wagon

tommys2patrick

I would love to go to an event but I am in the middle of some work on it and trying to build a barn. Summers are short up here so I have to hustle while I can. Definitely would like to come up to see yours.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
War Wagon update

Update. All armor is in place, just need to finalize the access panel. .50's are on their mounts and all radio parts are ready for install. Big job now is painting the new armor. Got to get it done quick, AFD is Saturday.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update, 9 May

Got the final panel (3ft x 4ft) in place and now I'm ready to paint the new armor plates. Sorry no pics tonight. I'll post some tomorrow.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vic 1 install in progress. Hooked up the radio so it looks correct. Maybe one of these days I'll find a working radio. No pics today, progress was in the little things. Installing wires, clamps, correct power cables. I'll post tomorrow with pics if I get the painting done. I figured out how to hang the door into the bed. I don't think it is correct to the era but not so far out as to take away from its appearance.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update

Update: almost ready. Painting is almost done, same with the trucks name. Vic 1 installed including positions for 4 gunners/NCOIC. Still missing one power cord. I'm on the lookout for a cable that goes from the battery to the MX 7777.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Time for some upgrades. Not as much as my ultimate goal but there's room for improvement. I found a source for the U.S. machine gun pedestal mount socket. If you want a secure mount for your gun mounts, this is one way to go. Very well built and fit the mount like a glove. Down side, I need to find some correct size pipe for it to fit. The source is IMA-USA and each mount socket cost $74.95. Shipping is free for orders over $100. I'm not sure how long the free shipping will last.

Attachments

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got three new mounts built and bolted down. The pintle adapters are installed but I still need to drill a hole through the pipe and pintle on one of the mounts because there's a hair bit too much movement. Ammo can trays are all installed. Still need to paint the M23 mount and ammo trays. Red I think would be a good color. After that, some detail work and as long as Murphy behaves, I'll be ready for Armed Forces Day. Pictures to come, maybe tomorrow.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mounts are installed, all .50's (replicas) in place. Point of order... if you purchase one of these .50's, they will require tweaking to get them to fit. All 3 of mine had to have the rear mount lugs reamed and the external side of the rear lug ground down. The front may need reaming (2 of mine needed adjustment). All that's left for the .50's is to brace the poles.

Attachments

frank scholer

Nice job on the 50 mounts. My truck has one 50 and I went the same way as you. Found the same problems with my resin 50. I also cleaned up the resin casting details and then repainted it with some Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II parkerizing grey paint. Looks much better than the factory paint job. My other two guns are M60s. I bought two air soft guns and added a mounting pin inside the bottom hand guard to accept the standard 3-point pintle. The pintle required some work to fit the mounting pins on the side of the M60. I made a mounting post out of some plate and a short length of pipe. The swivel mount accepts the standard post. Picture is at the Colorado Springs Veteran's Day parade.
You question on the right pipe to accept the pintle is 2 1/2" Schedule 40 pipe. the ID exactly fits the post mount. Nothing else will fit right.100_1981.jpg

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's one good looking truck! The .50 mounts are a work in progress. Since I open the truck bed for people, mostly kids, I set mine to maximize internal space. As time and money allow, I'll continue modifying them till I get them just right. As for the rear mount, I plan on buying one more resin gun and making it a double mount. We'll be having an event on the 16th from 10:00 to 2:00 over at the Cheyenne VAMC. You're welcome to bring the truck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks