• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WarBird Cockpit Light In Deuce, Very Handy!

Deuceswild

These are posted on ebay quite frequently and I thought that one would be a nice addition to my Deuce.
Originally they are all black ( Thermoset Plastic ) but I took it apart and painted parts of it 383 Green and kept a little of the original black on the base just for some contrast, Added a new spiral power cord and fab'ed a very simple mount, and PRESTO, a nice interior light.
This style came with a removeable red filter which is removed by pushing the 2 releasing pins. It is also adjustable for a " Spot or Floodlight Pattern" simply by turning the locking knob and extending or retracting the front of the lens.
A very nice and handy little project, ( along with 6 billion other ones :lol: )

Attachments

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, that's really nice and a clean piece of work. I've wanted dome lights in my trucks as well. I've purchased a couple NOS armor dome lights. The inside of your cab looks immacualte from what I can see.

Very nice!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a beautiful cab, and the light is a great addition. The mount is very nice, did you make it?

Armada

Nice Job! I really like that light, I've never seen one like it before. That would also work great in a cucv, as they don't have a dome light either.
I mounted one of the armor lights in my duece. It works nice too.

Attachments

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Armada, that's a great place for the armor lights. I'm going to put mine there as well. You too have an immaculate cab, well done!

What's in the box on the column, EGT & Boost?

Armada

Hey Armada, that's a great place for the armor lights. I'm going to put mine there as well. You too have an immaculate cab, well done!

What's in the box on the column, EGT & Boost?
Thanks! Yup, EGT and boost.
I used nylon spacers between the four mounting points on the light and the dash. The light is elevated about a 1/16" off of the dash.

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a pic and lost my camera but the armor dome light fits beautifully between the rails on the soft top frame. I love mine.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd posted some pice of these gooseneck lights, prompted me to go ahead and install them. The nice thing is the goosenecks, you can aim them wherever you want. They also have built in dimmers. Haney might still have a few. Better images are here:

http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/lamp/index.html

Attachments

Armada

IIRC, I got the tranny and t-case boots together, nos, on ebay. $30 something for the pair I think, don't remember the seller. I had a couple used ones, but gave them to friends in need. :)
And yes, the freeze plug has been fixed for a couple months now. The cucv is done so I've been able to redirect my efforts to the duece.
Had it out last weekend sans doors when the temps were in the 70's and the fall colors were peaking. 2 days before the snow fell... :(
Took a couple pics of it w/o the doors on. I'll post 'em when I get them back.
Chuck, did you light that 10k candle yet?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's my excuse for a dome light. Forgive the white finish, still need to paint it. I have another one I'm restoring for the crane truck. Fits like a glove where its at.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Patrick, the black square is actually blue. The switch is a double throw and can light either the white light or the blue light. It has a lock on the white light so you don't turn it on by accident in blackout conditions. The older ones have a red lense instead of blue. I'm working on one of them for my M108.

KaiserJeep715

Deuceswild, i am currently putting almost the same light into my truck...i have been looking for good spots to mount it and you just found it for me :) my question to you is what is your power cord plugged into?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice mods! That gives me ideas about interior light mods for my future MVs. I want to keep the interior of the M725 as stock as possible, but when I get a M880 or M35, I'll consider that armor light. The WarBird light looks good too, but I see the armor light more often.

dma251

Here's how I made mine - it's an LED red/white switchable marine dome light I painted and made a bracket for out of a scrap of aluminum I had kicking around. I wish the aluminum was a bit thicker gauge, but it works well and is solid nonetheless.

I wired it to a rubber covered toggle on the dash that is up for red, center for off, and down for white. It REALLY lights up the cab after dark!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks