• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warm Idle

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been driving my M1031 around locally since Dec 2019. It starts fine and high idles until it gets warm.

I noticed recently that my M1031 idles really low when its warm. If I the glow plugs aren't required to start (stock system) when the truck is warm, it really idles like it wants to stall.

I replaced my glow plugs and controller card around Dec 2019 and the truck starts great when cold.

I'm suspecting that my pump might be getting a tired but I'm not certain. Truck has 49K miles showing. I had 45K when I bought it. The fuel filter was replaced around 48K.

Barrman

Glow plugs are only needed to start the engine if the internal engine temperature is below 160°. After that how the engine runs is dependent on the injection pump timing, air filter, fuel filter, compression health, idle speed setting and injection pump health.

Have you tried turning the idle up a little?

cucvrus

Do yourself a favor. Replace the injection pump and the lift pump. It costs less than $500. and makes the difference between night and day. I do it first thing every time I have a poor running CUCV. I'm ready for the flak. https://dieselcare.store/products/rebuild-service-for-1983-1994-6-9l-7-3l-ford-idi-db2?variant=20674450063414&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJax2tyn6wIVhMDACh2g2AgAEAQYAiABEgKZTfD_BwE

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glow plugs are only needed to start the engine if the internal engine temperature is below 160°. After that how the engine runs is dependent on the injection pump timing, air filter, fuel filter, compression health, idle speed setting and injection pump health.

Have you tried turning the idle up a little?
Thanks for the response! I think something has changed or is starting to change. Today I drove and it idled normally. It's confusing.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do yourself a favor. Replace the injection pump and the lift pump. It costs less than $500. and makes the difference between night and day. I do it first thing every time I have a poor running CUCV. I'm ready for the flak. https://dieselcare.store/products/rebuild-service-for-1983-1994-6-9l-7-3l-ford-idi-db2?variant=20674450063414&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlJax2tyn6wIVhMDACh2g2AgAEAQYAiABEgKZTfD_BwE
I already replaced the lift pump to fix a leak. I think the injection pump is leaking from a seal. I might have to look into that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks