• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warm start problems

Hasdrubal

Shankem....I have a request, if you are disassembling your direct drive 27MT starter. Could you measure the diameter of the armature shaft on the Commutater end. I forgot to take this measurement, last time I rebuilt mine. See this thread in regards to incorrect bushings received from ASP http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96119-Epic-27MT-Rebuild-quest. Although I see that they now list the kits as out of stock. You could try - usautoelectric, but they dont list a 24V version. And do let me know what bushing sizes you receive. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 12v and 24v brushes are different. When ordering you have to order the correct ones.

Shankem-Deep

Well i've replaced the glow plugs, bypassed the resistor, new gp card, new st85 gp relay, NOS fuel filter housing and filter, new gp temp switch....still hard to start. I think the next logical step is to swap starters with my M1028. I had it rebuilt a little over a year ago and man that truck starts perfect! (knock on wood) The engine on the truck cranks over twice as fast as the blazer! I swapped batteries from the truck to the blazer because they are higher cranking amps and it made no difference. So I think I will swap starters and see what happens. I was going to order a rebuild kit but they are out of stock and the other place I checked wanted too much for shipping. Also if this indeed fixes my problem should I have my direct drive starter rebuilt or spring for the gear reduction? Stay tuned...

Shankem-Deep

I swapped starters from my truck to my blazer last night. This without a doubt fixed all my hard start problems! This starter spins the engine so fast it has no choice but to fire right up! I said twice as fast before but I think it is more than that! Both my MV's have the 27MT Direct Drive starters. Now the question is do I rebuild my 27MT starter or do I buy a new 28MT Gear Reduction? I want the starter that will spin the engine over the fastest. If you guys know which starter is best let me know. Honestly it's hard to imagine a 28MT spinning any faster than the 27MT I just swapped in. Cost wise I found some gear reducion starters on ebay for a little over $100 and free shipping. I think I spent $90 when I had my starter rebuilt last time. What do you guys think I should do?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the $100 GR starters are made in China. Some report good luck and some report not so good luck with them. YMMV

The good GR starters are mainly made in Japan. They usually cost around $250-$300.

I would say just rebuild your old DD.

Which ever option you go with make sure you use the correct support bracket.

Shankem-Deep

Thanks Warthog! I've had excellent luck with my rebuilt DD so I think I will get it rebuilt. We have a shop here in town that rebuilds starters and alternators etc. The have been good to me and stand by their work so I think I will take it to them.

Shankem-Deep

I just except it and move on...you have to live somewhere, besides with the size of your head there's no more room in OKC! :p But I did drop that starter off and they said they would have it done this evening or 1st thing in the morning!!!! Must have caught them on a slow day.

Nacademus

I haven't read through all this because I am in a hurry, so forgive me.

My truck had this same issue and it turned out to be my IP shaft seals. I replaced those and she fired up hot or cold.