• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

warm starting issues, still

camojcory

ok, i am still having some issues with warm starts on my 1009. i have brought this up before, but i am still confused on whats happening.

the truck starts perfect when the engine is cold. the problem is when it is warmed up and i go to restart it and there is no wait light and you really have to crank it over for an extended time to get it to fire.

there was a lighted manual GP switch installed by the PO. he said the switch is rated for this use and the light comes on when you flip the switch, but it doesn't seem to help.

the truck has brand new GPs, GP relay, starter relay, fuel filter, batteries.

what gives? is there a bad temp switch some where that cuts off the GPs even after the manual switch? the switch is wired per a post on this site, could it still not work even though the light comes on?

i have already looked through the TMs to no avail and i don't have a heated place to work on it so i need to narrow my options down before i have to bundle up and start probing around in this very cold winter.

mudguppy

likely a sticking fuel cut-off solenoid; they stick when hot/warm and won't let fuel return to IP until cooled or unstuck.

2cents

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should post this on your previous thread, otherwise anyone that wants to help you either needs to recover everything with you or go look at your old posts.

mudguppy

not sure, i don't own one. in the Army we would just swap out the IP in the customer's truck (since we had them on-hand) to get them up and running.

then if the IP seemed good, my F&E guys would swap out the solenoid.

do more searching on hot start and fuel solenoid issues/relationships. it's been covered here a bunch; i couldn't give you a part number or walk-thru.

NICK_M1009

If my 09 is hot the wait light will not come on until it sat for a while. Maybe the light is not coming on because its still warm.

Could it be the fuel is running back to the tank and it's taking a little bit to pump back to the motor???

ranchhopper

I found out the difference between a weak IP and a new one when this happened to me I took a new pump off the 6.2 I had sitting in the garage the truck starts great now even when its quite a bit colder.

camojcory

the truck has no problem starting when it's cold. it sits outside and we have below zero temps here. first thing in the morning she fires right up or if it has sat for a few hours it starts right up, it's just when you shut it off to go into a store or something and then come back out that it has an extended crank time to start up. there is no wait light (i'm assuming this is because it's still warm enough) but even flipping the manual GP switch on doesn't seem to help.

dragon1124

I had a problem like that when I first bought my m1009. Now the wait light still doesnt come on.

I couldnt exactly tell you what helped fix my warm/hot no starts. It was towards the end of summer when I got my m1009, it started after I changed both batteries, and getting both alternators rebuilt, and new starter. It would crank over really slow, and I'd be lucky if it started without any help from wd40. Also replaced the gp relay. That seemed to help me out a little bit. Still would crank really slow. One day it wouldnt start at all. Turned out the starter was bad. Replaced the starter again, and had bad glow plugs replaced. Now even though the wait light doesnt come on in my case, the gps cycle and it cranks over and starts every time. <I probably just jinxed myself> Even when it's warmed up, I had the m1009 running 45 mins, before driving 20 minutes home from work, then driving another 1 hour, reached my destination, had it off for about 15-20 minutes, and started right back up. We'll see how it handles in warmer weather again, but even when we had a heat wave of about 55* and running for 2 hours straight, it started back up after sitting 15 minutes between errands.

That is just my luck with the hot no start.

grayw0lf

I had a problem like that when I first bought my m1009. Now the wait light still doesnt come on.

I couldnt exactly tell you what helped fix my warm/hot no starts. It was towards the end of summer when I got my m1009, it started after I changed both batteries, and getting both alternators rebuilt, and new starter. It would crank over really slow, and I'd be lucky if it started without any help from wd40. Also replaced the gp relay. That seemed to help me out a little bit. Still would crank really slow. One day it wouldnt start at all. Turned out the starter was bad. Replaced the starter again, and had bad glow plugs replaced. Now even though the wait light doesnt come on in my case, the gps cycle and it cranks over and starts every time. <I probably just jinxed myself> Even when it's warmed up, I had the m1009 running 45 mins, before driving 20 minutes home from work, then driving another 1 hour, reached my destination, had it off for about 15-20 minutes, and started right back up. We'll see how it handles in warmer weather again, but even when we had a heat wave of about 55* and running for 2 hours straight, it started back up after sitting 15 minutes between errands.

That is just my luck with the hot no start.
I was also thinking it sounds like a bad starter. They'll sometimes start to get "heat soak" when they're about dead.

mudguppy

the OP described extended crank times; the truck is having trouble firing when hot, not cranking when hot.

that's the way i read it...

camojcory

that's correct, it cranks just fine cold or hot, it just takes 5 times longer cranking to fire when it's warm vs cold.

again, this is my first MV or diesel and i am not a mechanic, but this has me stumped. the truck runs and drives great. like i stated earlier i just replaced the batteries, GPs, GP relay, starter relay and fuel filter. none of them where bad, i just got the truck and wanted to give it a tune up. i'll keep the old parts for emergency spares.

thought i read something about a temp switch in the TMs. could this be bad and not letting my GP cycle on even with the manual switch?

or is there some kind of fuel delivery problem that would only happen when the engine was warm?

also, this problem is not entirely consistant, it always takes longer to fire when it's warm, but sometimes it's not to bad and other times it's real bad. haven't found a pattern yet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks