• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

warn 18,000 lb winch has anyone used them on a m35

jollyroger

I have found them for about $2600 all set up. You can get them 12 or 24 volt. They are Warn Industrial winches. The biggest they make,18000lb. winch, comes with 75 feet of cable. What I have been told is you really need the auto winder to go with the winch or the cable gets messed up on the first pull.

I am going to mount them front and rear. Don't know where on the rear yet but I will get to that when I get them. However at this time for the price of a winch I can buy a really good deuce with winch. So the Warns are on hold till I have Donald Trump money.[thumbzup]

mikeroot2

I have found them for about $2600 all set up. You can get them 12 or 24 volt. They are Warn Industrial winches. The biggest they make,18000lb.[thumbzup]
Memphis just recently had them listed on eBay(none right now) for $1700 reserve. See copy of email from Paul at Memphis below. If interested you might want to give 'em a call to see if they still have any.

Dear mikeroot2,

sorry mike, gotta hold out for $1,700.00 ea. on these winch's. shipped one down to texas last week which cost about $150.00 so please keep that in mind. best deal i can do for you is ship one to you for $1,750.00 if interested in this deal please let me know.

thanks paul

Last edited:

jollyroger

Memphis just recently had them listed on eBay(none right now) for $1700 reserve. See copy of email from Paul at Memphis below. If interested you might want to give 'em a call to see if they still have any.

Dear mikeroot2,

sorry mike, gotta hold out for $1,700.00 ea. on these winch's. shipped one down to texas last week which cost about $150.00 so please keep that in mind. best deal i can do for you is ship one to you for $1,750.00 if interested in this deal please let me know.

thanks paul

With or without the auto winder?

I'm currently in the process of installing a Warn 18K 24 volt wench on the front of my A3 right now. It is being mounted between the frame rails and should be complete in a day or two. I will be posting pics in the Deuce Hotrod forum when complete.

There is a guy in FL who has a pallet of surplus Warn 18K 24 volt wenches for $850...

Warn Winches, 18,000lb, NEW

asgtoolman

and where would you mount it front and rear?

I am in the middle of installing a 15000# WARN 24 volt winch on the front of my deuce right now. I have pushed my front bumper out 6" to allow it to tuck behind the bumper [cut 6" long pieces of the scrap frame I had left from bobbing my deuce and added 3/8" thick flitch plates with 8 grade 8 1/2"x1-1/2"bolts each side]
I just got the bumper back on tonight; what a pain doing it by yourself-getting the bumper off wasn't easy and getting it back on and getting the 10 original bolts to line up with the pieces I fabricated took some doing.
The winch will bolt to a 3/8" thick plate I am mounting behind the bumper; I am leaving the bumper with the "notched" area down and the fairlead will be mounted there.
I will post pictures if I ever figure out how.
If you have questions in the meantime, PM me.

jollyroger

The electric winches should get the job done. The factory GarWood is only rated for 10,000 lbs and they break the shear pin or worse if you exceede that rating.

The GarWood has 210 feet of "cable" while the Warn has 75 feet. That is the major downside that I see.

mudguppy

... The factory GarWood is only rated for 10,000 lbs and they break the shear pin or worse if you exceede that rating. ...
with Gringeltaube's destructive testing of OEM winch shear pins he achieved a consistant shear strength of ~250ft-lbs - this gives the calculated line pull of 13,800lbs at full drum and over 20k at bare drum (single line). put a snatch block on and you've got 40k lbs of pulling force at 100' reach. and given engine rpm and PTO gear, you could conceivably have these ratings at a line speed of 15 - 60 fpm (single line).

an electric winch will not come close to these performance specs.

that said, electric winches were never intended to perform like PTO winches! i concur that the 18k will probably get the job done just fine since it likely has a full drum line pull near 10k lbs. it'll be slow and a battery-drainer requiring frequent re-charging. i also think that the 75' of cable will disappear real quick.

but, it's a heck of a lot easier to mount, more compact, and easier to operate. and at the prices posted, cheaper than a take-off PTO setup.

just need to weigh the pro's and con's for each.

jollyroger

All good points MG. And I'm sure the breakage problems and failures have a lot to do with the age of the winch and cable rather than original equipment capability. Line speed is a very good point. And no recharging.

So the GarWood 10,000 sounds like it is underated rather than the Braiden LU-4 (8000lb.) being somewhat overrated on the M-37's. I ask because I don't have a lot of experience with the deuce winches but I have 30 years with the LU-4.

Electrics are typically slower than PTO. But with a PTO the engine has to be running. Electric can run as long as you have batteries. And you can jump the batteries or take them out, recharge somewhere else and reinstall if neccessary. Can't do that if the engine is under water and won't run or you broke something in the engine,clutch,tranny. And if you want you can carry extra cable to make up for the shorter lead. But this is something I do either way.

So each have their place. I have both types and they all perform their jobs well.

The way I quantify which one is if I am going to be working with the winch I go PTO or hydraulic. If I just want to recover my vehicle I go electric. 2cents

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and at the prices posted, cheaper than a take-off PTO setup.

just need to weigh the pro's and con's for each.
Travis, I agree with everything you said but this. I see PTO winches all the time for $1,000-$1,200 ( I just sold a complete setup for $1,000).

Maybe the 18K Warn is different but I've never seen an electric winch have a line pull that equaled it's rating. Have you ever noticed how much smaller the cable is on an electric compared to a PTO of the same size? I think the winch in question would work for a deuce but I wouldn't be suprised if the stock 10k winch would out pull it.

jollyroger

It sounds to me from what MG said that the line pull rating for the 2.5 GarWood is rated 10000 but that's on the full drum. On an empty drum it gets even more capable.

And don't get me wrong guys I like the PTO winches. I have an LU-4 on my M-37 and a Ramsey 8000 on my 66 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4.

I know the Electric Warn's have the high rating on the first row or empty drum. I can stall out my Warn 12000 powerplant on the front of my Waggoneer. I just get the Waggy planted in a snowbank and that's all she wrote. Get out the snatch block. funny thing is my buddie Jimmy had a Harbor Freight 8000 lb. winch on his CJ-8 and we could never get that winch to stall out. It was slower than pouring out a bottle of Bardall stop smoke on a cold day but it got the job done. We finally replaced it with one of my Warn 9500's and then a 9500 HS. that high speed winch is pretty sweet, very fast and suprisingly hard to stall.

Pic of the Waggy in the snowbank

Attachments

mudguppy

Travis, I agree with everything you said but this. I see PTO winches all the time for $1,000-$1,200 ( I just sold a complete setup for $1,000). ...
i made that statement based on the $850 Craigslist posting in this thread. but beyond that price, i agree with you that PTO winch prices can [easily] beat the electric winch price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks