• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warn 83086 Snatch Blocks

Gypsyman

I bumped an old thread before I realized that what I was reading was in the FMTV forum. Lets see if we can get more exposure here in my usual home.

I'm trying to find information on the Warn 83086 snatch block. According to Warn this is the civilian replacement for the 78387 sold to the government. Is the sheave on this block designed for 1/2" WR or something larger? I've been told everything from 1/2" to 3/4" by various sources. I spoke with Warn customer service repeatedly and got nowhere. Amazing to me that the customer service department of a winch company can't tell you what size wire rope their snatch blocks are designed to accept. I did finally get a gentleman on the line who helped a bit but still no solid numbers. He actually read me information from eBay listings about his own product.

Last edited:

rustystud

Since I own three of them, I can help you. It will hold 1/2" to 5/8" very comfortably. It can use 7/16" but it will be loose. You also can use 3/4" but it will be squeezed a bit. If your only going to use it infrequently then I would not be afraid to use either 7/16" or 3/4" wire rope in it.

Gypsyman

Thank Greg. It sounds like this would be considered a 5/8" block from what you've stated. If that's the case it would really be no better than the 5 ton block that I already have here. Just easier on the back. =)

It sound like I need to keep hunting for a correct 1/2" wire rope block.

rustystud

Thank Greg. It sounds like this would be considered a 5/8" block from what you've stated. If that's the case it would really be no better than the 5 ton block that I already have here. Just easier on the back. =)

Yeah, basically it is a 5/8" block, but I use a 1/2" line all the time with no ill effects.
Of course the snatch blocks are all extremely expensive so better to fork out the dough and get the one you truly need. Good hunting !

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Every decent block I own, or have seen labeled, has a 1/8 range in cable size. I have 3/8-1/2” blocks, as well as 1/2-5/8” blocks but they are all quality named, lifting blocks. Only in a pinch, would I recommend going with a little smaller than rated cable for block, but not bigger..

Gypsyman

Finally got a Deuce size snatch block in yesterday. Bushing is in great shape. Tiny bit of scoring where the pulley rides against the side plate on one side. Looks like some grit or foreign material may have gotten down in there over the years. Pulley cleaned up nicely. Basic strip and repaint should make it presentable. Can't complain for the price. Now if I can find one (or two) more I can cross this item off of the "tools needed" list.

And a picture for new owners that haven't seen one side by side with the 5/8" 5 Ton version.

Deuce Snatch Block (1).JPG Deuce vs 5 Ton (1).JPG

ToddJK

I've been trying to find one of these, but most of the listings are sketchy at best. One that I did find, the guy doesn't ship, pick up only and that's a different state 🥺

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I've been trying to find one of these, but most of the listings are sketchy at best. One that I did find, the guy doesn't ship, pick up only and that's a different state 🥺
Using FaceCrook Marketplace might be a good idea. I ended up finding 4 about a year ago. Price was reasonable. Bought one, then I mentioned wanting more and the guy I bought from suggested that he could clean them up a little, pain them, and deliver them to me in a week or so.

I offered to take them without paint and that I had cash in hand. That worked really well for me!

ToddJK

Using FaceCrook Marketplace might be a good idea. I ended up finding 4 about a year ago. Price was reasonable. Bought one, then I mentioned wanting more and the guy I bought from suggested that he could clean them up a little, pain them, and deliver them to me in a week or so.

I offered to take them without paint and that I had cash in hand. That worked really well for me!
That's what I checked, both ebay and FaceCrook as you call it, lmao. This was about 2 months ago. Maybe I'll get lucky and another member might sell me one or do a trade on something. Otherwise, I'm checking every so often.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks