• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warning when geting a Deuce from GSA

The GSA is back up to it's old policy again. I bid and won a M35a2, runs perfect, all complete, drives nice. In the listing it was described as scrap/salvage in small print at the bottom. Well guess what, I got the SF97, stamped all over it is NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE. SCRAP. According to my DMV I am only allowed to get a Salvage certificate, and then go through the reconstructed process, including a reconstructed certified inspection station going over the truck. About four months of bull. I looked on the GSA site , every duce in my area is marked SALVAGE as well. So it if you are bidding look out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sephirothq

That's part of what kept me from outbidding you.
You got to read the fine print and understand what it means.
Not every truck is listed like that some are and some are not.

IT will effect how much well informed people are willing to bid.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't blame GSA because you didn't read the entire listing before bidding.Even if it was small print they did their part . They didn't mislead you , knowing the terms is the buyers responsibility.2cents

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the listings start with the first words in the description ; To be sold for scrap .
Then the vehicle desription starts its pretty clear there considered scrap.

You got it I am warning everyone to read the fine print. I talked to the forestry station chief he said he did not check the box as salvage. He marked it as repairable. I then called Cyntha Smith at the GSA, she marked it as salvage on her own and will not change the SF97.

SO everyone read the print, and expect the worst.

Oh and by the way, the listing did not start with sold as scrap, in fact it no where in the primary description was any Scrap terms used. The word Scrap was in the last paragraph all the way down the page in the small print.

TexAndy

Interesting. I got a GSA M816 awhile back and have had a devil of a time getting any kind of SF97 from them whatsoever. Or even getting ahold of them.

acmunro

All the listings start with the first words in the description ; To be sold for scrap .
Then the vehicle desription starts its pretty clear there considered scrap.
That is a broad statement. I am sure "all" the vehicle descriptions do not start with "To be sold for scrap"

The OP is just giving a heads up. I know for a fact he is not the first person to have this issue. It is what it is. A shame if it is a good truck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is a broad statement. I am sure "all" the vehicle descriptions do not start with "To be sold for scrap"

The OP is just giving a heads up. I know for a fact he is not the first person to have this issue. It is what it is. A shame if it is a good truck.
Quote by OP ; I looked on the GSA site , every duce in my area is marked SALVAGE as well. So it if you are bidding look out

The above statement was a reply to Op original statment that it is hide in there listing , he then went on to say every duce in his area was marked SALVAGE , but his earlier statement indicated it was " hidden" in the description . A quick search yesterday revealed all duecs in his area state
"Sold For Scrap" in the first line it was no hidden .

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, why not get it titled/registered, without using the SF-97? It can be done.

Yohan

If a vehicle is a '72 or older, you won't need a title to register it in NY. A bill of sale would be required by DMV.
(I know, you're not in NY...)

Last edited:

acmunro

Quote by OP ; I looked on the GSA site , every duce in my area is marked SALVAGE as well. So it if you are bidding look out

The above statement was a reply to Op original statment that it is hide in there listing , he then went on to say every duce in his area was marked SALVAGE , but his earlier statement indicated it was " hidden" in the description . A quick search yesterday revealed all duecs in his area state
"Sold For Scrap" in the first line it was no hidden .
I think if you read the "fine print" in your own statement you might understand.

Let me spell it out.
"He then went on to say every duce in his area was marked SALVAGE"
Your statement " A quick search yesterday revealed all duecs in his area state "Sold For Scrap" in the first line it was no hidden ."
The OP didn't say it was hidden now.
So you agree- Lets all be happy now.

ca1517

I am with DH on this. I am unsure of the rules in your area, but, in most states that I am aware of, there is a certain age of a vehicle when a title is no longer required. If you have already checked in to this, and it does not apply to you, sorry. Good luck

stancanpara

Perhaps you can sell it to one of the guys that live in an area that does not require a titles...? Hate to see a NICE truck parted out....:cry:

Good luck whatever works...

flyxpl

Out of 4 gsa trucks I have recovered I have never recieved a SF97 that was correct . I have had them mailed to me within a week , but always incorrect VIN and even wrong year.
Your tip has helped me . I thought if you reqeusted a sf97 for a scrap sale you could get a good title .
Thanks for the tip.

lindyp38

thanks for heads up........i pour over their listings carefully.......ud think they would make it easier for us.....they seem to delight in making things hard........

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks