• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Warning's 1009 Repairs

SPCWarning

Finally got some CUCV time and got 'er in the Shattered Socket. Had a small fuel leak on the #8 cylinder. It ended up being a rotted fuel line. Removed the batteries not only for more working room, but also to clean the area up a bit and inspect. Found that the batteries are both '09 models which is nice to know, found a gnarly rust-out spot on the inner fender, and got the fuel leak repaired with new fuel lines. Took pics of the battery dates, the rusty spot, the nasty battery mounts, and my trusty tire step that I've had for years that SO comes in handy! Only paid like $13 for it and it's a life saver! Installed a fire extinguisher, and my CB also. Gotta get that rust repaired! :shock: More to come....

Attachments

cucv1833

Finally got some CUCV time and got 'er in the Shattered Socket. Had a small fuel leak on the #8 cylinder. It ended up being a rotted fuel line. Removed the batteries not only for more working room, but also to clean the area up a bit and inspect. Found that the batteries are both '09 models which is nice to know, found a gnarly rust-out spot on the inner fender, and got the fuel leak repaired with new fuel lines. Took pics of the battery dates, the rusty spot, the nasty battery mounts, and my trusty tire step that I've had for years that SO comes in handy! Only paid like $13 for it and it's a life saver! Installed a fire extinguisher, and my CB also. Gotta get that rust repaired! :shock: More to come....

Good deal[thumbzup]. I like that tire step where you get it at? What CB set up are you running?

idM1028

Yeah, watch those fenders. I don't know if the 1009's have them, but all the trucks (M1008, M01028, etc.) have a small metal piece that attaches to the wheel well just behind the front wheels with a couple of sheet metal screws. And...it always seems like the first piece to rust. I've found the pieces on other GM trucks in salvage yards in good condition, but the things always seem to be rusted on and thus, impossible to pull off without mangling them all to H***. Don't even bother looking for them on say, LMC either. I've never been able to find them. I'm just waiting for the lovely Nebraska winter and the inevitable salt on the roads :roll:

SPCWarning

Good deal[thumbzup]. I like that tire step where you get it at? What CB set up are you running?
I actually bought it at CarQuest about 4 or 5 years ago when I was working in Rock Springs, WY. You could prolly google it and still find them cheap. It's a lot safer than standing in a chair. I don't remember what brand it is but it shouldn't be hard to find. It's adjustable I've had it on 275/55/20's on my Silverado all the way down to 15's like on the CUCV.
The CB is an old Realistic I've had for years, I like it because it has the weather alert/weather band.
Jim

SPCWarning

Yeah, watch those fenders. I don't know if the 1009's have them, but all the trucks (M1008, M01028, etc.) have a small metal piece that attaches to the wheel well just behind the front wheels with a couple of sheet metal screws. And...it always seems like the first piece to rust. I've found the pieces on other GM trucks in salvage yards in good condition, but the things always seem to be rusted on and thus, impossible to pull off without mangling them all to H***. Don't even bother looking for them on say, LMC either. I've never been able to find them. I'm just waiting for the lovely Nebraska winter and the inevitable salt on the roads :roll:
Thanks! The rusty spot on the fender will is in front of the pass. tire, it looks like a battery must've leaked there. I'm already cleaning it up, what I'll do is cut out all the rusted out part, form a piece of sheet metal as closely as possible to the shape there, and rivet it in place and seal it best I can and paint it. I'll do it from underneath the fenderwell cause that's the side that can be seen (if someone bends over). The top side isn't noticeable with the batteries in place. I'll take more pictures as I get more done.

SPCWarning

That tire step is one of those - "**** why didn't I think of that" deals! Probably saves your back too!
Absolutely! My uncle was here today and he wants one! It really is handy. You can probably google "tire step" or such and find one. I looked today and can't find a manufacurer at all on it. They are cheap though. but will prolly fit a Deuce or 5 ton tire too. I weigh about 205 and it doesn't sag or move around at all.

SPCWarning

Rust repair (kinda) pic

Ground, cut, and cleaned out the rust on the inner fender well where an old battery had leaked down onto it and rotted it. I bolted and riveted a piece of sheet metal in place over the hole from the bottom. Not perfect, but the rust is gone and the hole is gone. The second pic is LIGHTS IN THE SHATTERED SOCKET GARAGE! I've been using an extension cord from the house since I built the shop 3 years ago. Yes, I'm excited and now I can see how unorganized I am! Also scored a really nice hood today. Mine looks like a really big person danced on top of it and then shot it with an M16. The one I'm picking up Friday is straight with only minor surface rust. My uncle's friend hooked me up with it. Pics when I pick it up. More to come......

Attachments

cucv1833

:grd: Nice repair that should do-it. I got to get me one of those tire steps i have never seen one before but aparently they sell them everywhere for $20-$50.

SPCWarning

:grd: Nice repair that should do-it. I got to get me one of those tire steps i have never seen one before but aparently they sell them everywhere for $20-$50.
Thanks, and I still got much more to do, just like Johnny Cash...one piece at a time. Yep I've gotten lots of comments on the ol' tire step. I bought it when I was working out of a utility truck 4X4 with the top boxes on each side. I couldn't see my bolt bins so I picked it up and have used it a LOT ever since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks