• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was looking for a shop in or near Milwaukee to work on M1008; then did it all myself!

retro_life

I was going to tell you that but glad you figured it out for yourself. I know the horrors of finding the correct little fasteners when you get a CUCV that someone else tried changing that switch and had no clue. Not even a hint. I bought steering columns from any GM car of the era just for the correct fasteners. I lie. I removed the columns from vehicles that were at the crusher pile. Many times with a big yank of the loader fork thru the steering wheel. BAM. The column was out and all the little screws were still in place on the column housing. The wiring and steering column. Well they didn't make out so good. Many CUCV switches I removed were made by Singer sewing machine company. Does yours say Singer on it?
Yes the original switch was a singer. I tried messing with it to try and get it to start clicking again but it was toast.

retro_life

The new balancer showed up today. Definitely looks way better than what was on there but it has a few marks/scratches on it and the rubber is a little wavy and wrinkly looking. How does it look to you guys? The guy I got it from said he purchased it from HPG. Is it maybe just old surplus and been sitting around for a while? Am I just tripping out? Should I put it on?
3E08A87C-33B2-4530-932B-A7D4655AC9E6.jpegFF6ED853-B211-4572-A520-88367E318699.jpeg03017248-B5BD-4BD5-96FB-83327D226367.jpeg4641F3E3-690B-4FF5-80A5-834D9A33C982.jpeg79D5E833-298D-4EFC-91CE-55C893BE9DBF.jpegDF7E5F63-C7B4-44FE-9A5D-04300E6CF27C.jpeg

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The new balancer showed up today. Definitely looks way better than what was on there but it has a few marks/scratches on it and the rubber is a little wavy and wrinkly looking. How does it look to you guys? The guy I got it from said he purchased it from HPG. Is it maybe just old surplus and been sitting around for a while? Am I just tripping out? Should I put it on?
View attachment 840400View attachment 840401View attachment 840402View attachment 840403View attachment 840404View attachment 840405
For what it is worth, the rubber looks uniform. Nothing "pooched" out between the two pieces of metal. I can't really tell if that is a crack in the rubber all the way around - or if it is just a compression mark where the rubber is doing its job. Had it been molded differently - with a round outside edge, it wouldn't have even been visible...

You are on the hunt for the "dry rot" look. That is something to be avoided at all costs!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Im about to install the new seal. Do I press it in dry? I know that I want to lube the rubber inner part but what about the outer ring of the seal where it meets the motor? View attachment 840408
Sometimes it helps to have a thin film of RTV on it, but it will be slippery and IMO harder to install.
The red coating on the seal should "seal" it to the cover.

chevymike

I always put just a little bit of oil on the end of the balancer part that touches the seal, during installation, just so it won't possibly tear the seal. Only one I didn't do that on was my 12v Cummins, since it had a special tool and specifically said not to, as it had some coating on it already.

Balancer looks fine.

retro_life

I took a page outta @chevymike ’s book and drilled a hole through my contraption and used the balancer installer through it. Pressed the seal right in! I guess the red coating around the seal is a Teflon and that acts as the lubricant/sealer when installing it. I just pushed it in dry and it seemed like it worked just fine.
now for the balancer should I rub some assembly lube on the crank shaft before I slip it on? Also should I use motor oil on the seal or is assembly lube ok for that also?
thanks guys!

162635A9-A24F-4CE7-B8E3-7D2D2B5A6639.jpeg17071869-8F0C-41EB-97FE-EE0CF148A887.jpeg

retro_life

Just checked the cucv torque spec cheat sheet and didn’t see anything about the crank pulley bolts. How tight do you guys torque those?
Thanks, and sorry for being annoying just wanna do everything right.

M1009_SPAIN

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just checked the cucv torque spec cheat sheet and didn’t see anything about the crank pulley bolts. How tight do you guys torque those?
For bolts on anything that don't have a specific torque listed in a manual, you can use the standard for that size/grade bolt.

Do an image search for "bolt torque chart" and print one out for your size and grade bolts.

retro_life

I just received my power steering bracket from @cucvrus and I am completely blown away by the quality of his repair. It looks like nothing ever happened to it! Wow man!
Here’s pics of it before
7667AACA-D4B4-413B-BE92-871AFFF08544.jpeg6610FCE0-A6ED-4C46-B7EE-311AFB0E1F8F.jpegD6BDEFF3-F06C-4E8A-95CA-140351468CB7.jpeg
And here it is after his masterful repair job!
EC9DA2EB-DFDB-4995-9125-762ED3BA767E.jpeg3BE59A5F-C884-4BE7-84A8-2AD895384FE7.jpeg71439CC9-0BF2-47C8-86D8-63234A12DED3.jpeg2158EFC2-13C4-48C9-A2FE-6099E149C2D4.jpeg

Thank you so much man! Also thanks for the proper hardware and other goodies. You are a real asset to this community and I can’t thank you enough.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a new kyb damper and also poly sway bar bushings, but no shocks yet. I’ll put them on after I get it running again.
Darn. Why did I think you were one step ahead of me!! Oh well, I'll try and find something else. You have gone viral on here. Not only have you acquired so much experience, but because of all your great pictures and information you are providing, you'll be helping other members for years to come . Thanks Man!!

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darn. Why did I think you were one step ahead of me!! Oh well, I'll try and find something else. You have gone viral on here. Not only have you acquired so much experience, but because of all your great pictures and information you are providing, you'll be helping other members for years to come . Thanks Man!!

retro_life

I got everything reassembled and was fitting the belts when I realized that the Gates 7450 was way too tight for my power steering. (EDIT: read ahead, I was wrong. The 7450 fits fine.) There was a thread on here where someone went to Fort Brag and said he saw the proper belts for the M1008s there and listed 7450 for the power steering. It’s way too tight to fit at least on my truck. I’m going to take it back to the store and get the next size or two up. The Gates 7485 and 7575 fit just fine for the alternators.

Here’s the truck running. I currently don’t have the power steering belt on it but I figure it should be ok temporarily since the pump still gets spun from the generator belt. The motor seems to be much quieter but I still notice a little bit of a wobble down at the balancer/crank pulley. Or am I just tripping out? Like you said, I’m sort of a perfectionist snd things can drive me crazy.

My power steering pulley seems to be a little warped for sure, could that be what’s causing the wobbles? Or could it be my belt tension? Do my belts seem to be too loose?

Thanks!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks