• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was looking for a shop in or near Milwaukee to work on M1008; then did it all myself!

retro_life

CHEAP easy way to look for exhaust leaks... Low Effort Required - Much easier than all the other stuff you have done!

Get yourself a spray bottle. Ladies hairspray, 409, Whatever.
Get the water good and hot and fill the bottle 3/4 or so full.
Get some good soap. Dawn or something like it.
Give the bottle a good healthy squirt. Don't shake it up, just swirl it around in the bottle.

Then, with your bottle of soapy water in hand, open the hood, and go crank up the truck.
Immediately walk around to that side where you think the ticking is coming from.
Spray it. Don't be bashful, give it a nice coat of water and soap.

It you get bubbles, you have the leak we have been talking about. If not, well it was a cheap way to hunt for it. WHATEVER you do, don't let the motor get scalding hot. It will just dry out the water and you loose the effectiveness.

MOST IMPORTANT: If you snatch your lady friend's hairspray bottle and dump it out for this project - Your death isn't my responsibility. You have been warned!
I don’t really think it’s the exhaust but I’m going to check it closely before moving forward on the valve train.
I think the noise I’m hearing on the right side pipe is just the valve noise being amplified down the line. On the header/manifold area I hear just a light whistling clicking sound like I do when I listen directly on the injectors, then after the 3 bolt flange I can hear the knock for about 2 feet on the pipe before it’s not really perceivable anymore. I’m down there touching the stethoscope to everything and it’s driving me crazy lol.
By far the loudest places I hear the knocking sound with the stethoscope is on the fuel lines right where they bolt to the brackets on top of the valve covers. I’ve cracked them and all that changes is the motor bogs down but the knocking is still there in the background until it comes back full force once injector is tightened again.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should I get one of these @ezgn ? Or should I get some kit I’ll be able to use with other cars in the future? Not sure. Lemme know what you recommend.
View attachment 842802
I am not aware of compression testers that are for diesel and other cars. I'm not quite sure of your question. The diesel tester can be used for any diesel engine the only difference would be the adapter that threads into the glow plug thread. The tester can thread any size adapter needed for different size glow plug holes. This kit you are looking at will have the right size adapter for a G.M. 6.2 diesel engine. Diesel engines have higher compression ratings than gas motors which is reflected in the higher gauge ratings for the diesel compression gauges. This gauge your showing looks to me to be a good choice for your truck, and a good buy with the adapter included.

retro_life

I am not aware of compression testers that are for diesel and other cars. I'm not quite sure of your question. The diesel tester can be used for any diesel engine the only difference would be the adapter that threads into the glow plug thread. The tester can thread any size adapter needed for different size glow plug holes. This kit you are looking at will have the right size adapter for a G.M. 6.2 diesel engine. Diesel engines have higher compression ratings than gas motors which is reflected in the higher gauge ratings for the diesel compression gauges. This gauge your showing looks to me to be a good choice for your truck, and a good buy with the adapter included.
Yeah that’s the Kent Moore tool. It’s probably the official one that’s used in the TMs. I was asking if you think I should get that or get a kit that has a bunch of different glow plug/injector fittings to be used on other vehicles. But I’m probably only gonna be working on 6.2s anyway so I’ll probably just go with the Kent Moore.

ezgn

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah that’s the Kent Moore tool. It’s probably the official one that’s used in the TMs. I was asking if you think I should get that or get a kit that has a bunch of different glow plug/injector fittings to be used on other vehicles. But I’m probably only gonna be working on 6.2s anyway so I’ll probably just go with the Kent Moore.
Why buy adapters you may never use. the adapters are cheap and you can buy them as needed.

cucvrus

Have you ever pressure tested the cooling system? Is it possible that a slight head gasket leak is making a noise. I mean I had them that the head gasket had a weak spot at the compression ring. My issue with diagnosis on this truck is that so many things were done to it and so many things changed. Running it hard for several thousand miles after being in limbo for so long can open up and move things that have been resting and rusting a long time. Just a thought. Check and see if the cooling system holds compression and pressure. There should not be a leak down.
This is an example of a corroded compression ring at the cylinder. Engine ran OK but steams and smoked on cool damp mornings.
I mean at this point anything could be worn and making noise. I would rule out air and injection pump timing. I do not think it is fuel related. Compression test is fine after the cooling system is checked and verified. Good Luck. Thank you for the report. trying to help from afar. You have been a great student and learned fast and well. Remain Calm.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
from your video I think @ezgn is right, I think there is a rocker arm loose and a compression test would tell some information
If it is a loose rocker arm, have a look at these 2 topics. IMO better then replacing the nylon retainers.

I'm thinking of going with the stainless rivets.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So if a PRESSURE TEST is in your future, go to one of the local parts houses and rent a tester from them.

Cheap like spraying soapy water on the exhaust. Not being pushy - but have you looked into that idea?
We can dream up expensive things to do... Just hoping to save you a dollar where it can be saved.

retro_life

"Was looking for a shop in or near Milwaukee to work on M1008; then did it all myself!"

So what do you think You saved so far?
The money, not the truck you saved.
Has it been fun getting daily challenges squared away?
It’s been fun and educational. I’m a better man for this experience that’s for sure. Now I just gotta figure out the tapping problem.
As far as money saved. Here is a excerpt from an email I received from a certain company everyone on here probably knows. Very famous for working on cucvs and selling parts. I looked into taking it over to them in the beginning but it was so outrageous that I just manned up and did it myself.

“Injector Pump and injector installation and timing. Includes pulse timing of new pump. Customer to supply parts. $1800

Install flex plate (remove transmission, inspection of all mounts) $775

New flex plate $95”

These were also said to be “discounted” rates since I was interested in doing a bunch of stuff at once… So with just that money in labor alone paid for probably everything I did on the truck minus the GVOD. Plus I got to learn and make some really great friends on here.

retro_life

So if a PRESSURE TEST is in your future, go to one of the local parts houses and rent a tester from them.

Cheap like spraying soapy water on the exhaust. Not being pushy - but have you looked into that idea?
We can dream up expensive things to do... Just hoping to save you a dollar where it can be saved.
Yeah I will look into that. I haven’t bought anything yet as I’m still recovering from all the money I already spent lol. I’m also kinda taking a short break before jumping back in. I’m just happy to finally be home after 2 months and I’m spending time with family and my dog and getting back into my routines again.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah I will look into that. I haven’t bought anything yet as I’m still recovering from all the money I already spent lol. I’m also kinda taking a short break before jumping back in. I’m just happy to finally be home after 2 months and I’m spending time with family and my dog and getting back into my routines again.
Good Deal!

Glad everyone was happy to see you when you got home. :)

retro_life

Just found this video on YouTube. Things sounds mean with no mufflers :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Here's another video of a guy who had the same exact sound I'm having

In the comments he said it ate a glow plug or a bolt and rebuilt the motor.
" Its been fixed, had piston slap on the number 5 cylinder, looks like it ate part of a glow plug or bolt. Fixed now, me and a buddy rebuilt it. Check out my other videos. "

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks