• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Was Stranded at gas station in Newton Grove, NC.

dmetalmiki

just a get a simple compression union and splice the tube together to get you home.
(And) You have an easy fix plus complete the 'mission' with that fault (rectified), the other (simple) option Stout or re-enforced rubber tubing, stout clips. (4 off.) good luck, keep us informed.

Jericho

Stay positive! simple problem sinple solution dmetalmiki above has a possible solution, Put a small frlare on the copper tude, it can be done with a file or a round screwdriver by rolling it around semi inserted into the end of the SOFT cooper tube, only go large enough to allow rubber hose to still fit on , You likely have a DONOR hose on the truck fro something that not mission essiential, DOUBLE worm screw it at each end, IF that doesn't work either flare a new line in or go the compression fitting route, WALLY WORLD or a napa will have a flaring kit , Not playing favorites but I ALWAYS try to break down (limp into ) a wally world parking lot, Products in store, bath room , food, cash point, sleeping bags wifi and OK overnight parking. Did a M 109a3 tranny swap in one in NJ about 3 years ago , Manager was great . good luck ! hang in their its what great stories are made from !

DanM7890

Well here's a small update. I'm at home in Charlotte and the truck is at Parkers house in Greensboro. I called a local diesel mechanic in Raleigh named Rob who drove out to me on the highway and took the part to two local cat dealers and got the replacement. We installed it and filled it with oil and the part works. I drove 15min and pulled over to check the level and it's still leaking pretty bad from somewhere. I limped the truck to Parkers but had to stop twice and add about a gallon each time. The truck is covered head to toe in oil, including the tailgate which is crazy. I will upload pics in the morning but for now I'm safe and the truck is tucked in for the night.

coachgeo

Look at the bright side. You've now prepared your truck for the winter months. You coated even the tailgate with salt/rust prevention coating. Smart move. :grd:

You'll get her all figured out. Do the fan while you're in there.

Smike740

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I found the source. Looks like a cracked cover. May have to zoom in. It's a small leak.
My truck had both the broken line and the cracked timing housing you pictured. If the bracket that supports the compressor becomes loose the housing becomes stressed and will crack. My guess is the line also cracked due to the compressor moving. At least this was the case for me. If you need the timing housing they can be sourced used. A new one is close to $1,000 from Cat. Unfortunately the camshaft needs pulled to replace the housing. If you were closer I would lend a hand, the job isn't hard but a lot of parts need to be removed.

DanM7890

My truck had both the broken line and the cracked timing housing you pictured. If the bracket that supports the compressor becomes loose the housing becomes stressed and will crack. My guess is the line also cracked due to the compressor moving. At least this was the case for me. If you need the timing housing they can be sourced used. A new one is close to $1,000 from Cat. Unfortunately the camshaft needs pulled to replace the housing. If you were closer I would lend a hand, the job isn't hard but a lot of parts need to be removed.
thanks for the heads up. I'm heading into work trying to keep my mind clear knowing I have a lot of work ahead of me on the truck. I actually am from Dublin and went to elementary through high school there. I still make it back for an OSU game when I can. Thanks again.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dan sorry for your troubles. There always seems to be something on these trucks but I told a friend if it didn't keep breaking I wouldn't know how to fix it in a pinch.

Along similar lines I was driving to a meeting back in the 90s and left about 0430 to get there. In the middle of no where my alternator bracket (adjuster) broke and it's pitch dark outside. I popped the hood, took a bungee cord and pulled the alternator toward the fender and lashed it down once the fan belt was tight and drove another 150 miles to my meeting. When we were breaking for lunch I excused myself to hit the parts store after explaining my situation. A senior female manager asked me how I figured out the trick with the bungee and I told her that growing up I usually drove $50-$75 vehicles. You had to know how to make field expedient repairs or you'd be sitting beside the road for a long time. Turns out the bolt holding the adjuster had broken off in the block and I drove the truck with the alternator bungee for about a month before getting it fixed. The moral is: Life's a learning experience. When you stop learning it's over.

In this case I hope it turns out to be an inexpensive (although aggravating) one.

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A senior female manager asked me how I figured out the trick with the bungee and I told her that growing up I usually drove $50-$75 vehicles. You had to know how to make field expedient repairs or you'd be sitting beside the road for a long time.
Sounds like my history with VW Beetles, Karmann Ghias, and Triumph Spitfires!

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your truck is still in GSO and if you need anything let me know. I live about 3 miles from Parker :) I just saw this thread today. I was coming back from the outer banks on Tuesday when all this happened.

f8617

In a 23 March 2016 SS FMTV thread I posted"...I also had a cracked front housing on the CAT 3116...apparently, after rebuilding the starter, the mechanic forgot to tighten the air compressor bracket bolts on engine block ($850 for new front housing, $100/hour CAT labor rate (its a 25 hour-long job), ~$4k total repair bill)..."

My reasoning for having CAT do the repair was that it would be done by the best & warrantied. Side benefits included, no fan wobble worries, & engine tuned for more horses.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks