• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Washer pump, wiper motor hijinks

rhinob

In an effort to keep the M1009 bone stock original, I have replaced the washer pump / wiper motor assembly with an LMC rebuilt unit (the only thing not working was the washer pump). I installed the rebuilt unit and attached the ground strap (that wasn't with the rebuilt unit) and tried it. The wipers barely move and the pump squirts washer fluid cyclicly with just turning on the wipers, no application of the washer pump at the switch. Strangest thing I've ever seen - which led me to believe that maybe a proper ground wasn't in tact. Well, it appears to be, but there's a catch. Part of the power source also runs to the fuel filter assembly where there's a fuel heater. Through that heater/switch it goes to ground. Keep in mind that this is disconnected (when I bought it) so I'm not sure what effect this might have.

It's a goofy problem and I was hoping that someone might have endured the same nonsense and might have some insight before I spend a whole bunch more time on it...

Thanks!

rhinob

When my washer pumped fluid out every time I turned on the wipers I replaced my wiper motor and the problem stopped. You have already done this
I'm thinking it's possible I have a bad rebuilt unit. It happens. I've already ordered another - but in the meantime I thought I'd ask around. Thanks for your input - that's probably my issue!

cucvrus

That brings up an interesting question. Has anyone ever changed the windshield wiper / washer switch in the column? I have one bad and tried taking an extra column apart just to try and tackle that job. What a disaster. I ended up just switching the column. Never did figure out how to change the switch. Service manual is very vague on details to change the wiper switch in the column. Any way I would think replacing the wiper washer motor with a lifetime warranted one from Autozone or Advance would be the best buy to fix your problem. Lifetime warranty says it all for me. And as far as the fuel filter wires being cut and modified. Everyone of the OEM changes that you make will come back to bite you or the next owner everytime. Not ranting just telling the truth. Keep it running keep it stock.

cucvrus

I went back and looked again about the wiper switch replacement.
45. WIPER MOTOR WILL NOT TURN OFF​
Step 1. Trace circuit. (See wiring diagram F-20 or F-21)If switch is good, replace windshield wiper motor. (See paragraph 10-11)​
If switch is not good, notify your supervisor
At that point I knew it was a trouble some operation to replace the wiper switch. Anyone? I have been replacing the columns all along if the wiper switch goes bad. The Supervisor was not available for comment. Am I missing this information from another manual? The GM civilian manual is also vague. And I have had some that did make the washers inoperable. I think that this pertains to the thread and needs to be answered. Please anyone?

Prospect62

That brings up an interesting question. Has anyone ever changed the windshield wiper / washer switch in the column? I have one bad and tried taking an extra column apart just to try and tackle that job. What a disaster. I ended up just switching the column. Never did figure out how to change the switch. Service manual is very vague on details to change the wiper switch in the column. Any way I would think replacing the wiper washer motor with a lifetime warranted one from Autozone or Advance would be the best buy to fix your problem. Lifetime warranty says it all for me. And as far as the fuel filter wires being cut and modified. Everyone of the OEM changes that you make will come back to bite you or the next owner everytime. Not ranting just telling the truth. Keep it running keep it stock.
Man if you can't do that job it doesn't leave much hope for me. I hope my non-op wipers aren't the switch.

cucvrus

Try the motor before the switch. That wiper switch is doable and it can be done. But the entire column must come out. I out lined that switch replacement in my Decade Wrecked thread a few years back. On the bench and out of the truck or you will go crazy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks