• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Washing 003a

cuad4u

Dirty can mean a lot of different things. I refurbish and sell 002A and 003A generators. I have good success cleaning them by spraying full strength Purple Power all over the unit. I put the Purple Power in 2 gallon pump up sprayer. After letting it sit maybe 15 minutes and depending on the level of "dirt" I either use a nozzle connected to a hose with 60PSI water pressure or I carefully use my 3000PSI pressure washer to remove the crud. You may have to repeat especially if you missed some places. It works very well. I have never used hot water or a steam cleaner.

Keith_J

They are brushless, solid state, sealed units. Learn where the generator bearing is and never pressure wash that. Also, don't pressure wash wires, they are flame resistant, nylon covered, glass fiber textile wrapped aviation type wire. The rest is fine. But watch out for air filter and control box.
simple green HD (purple stuff) works well.

Isaac-1

You also want the generator end itself to be completely dry before running, best to cover with a small heat source for a couple of days if you pressure wash, just in case

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I personally would avoid high pressure washing if you can. Try using a good detergent or solvent first. You can get a few small brushes like you clean bottles out with to get between the fins and other small places. I find that works even better than pressure washers. Leaves a lot more paint intact too.

Keith_J

These units were designed to run in a jungle during a monsoon. They will be FINE if the windings are wet, the windings are varnished after assembly, then baked and high pot tested against voltage leakage.

The weakest components, other than the generator bearing, are the gauges and switches on the panel. The engine can be safely pressure washed below the injection pump and starter cut out, above the oil filter.

Crankcase and frame? Blast it with impunity. Fuel lines are fabric covered so be careful. Fuel pumps are sealed. Careful around the filler cap, the vent must be closed except when running so don't run it when pressure washing.