• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

washington license requirements

joelstevens21

I'm stationed in Oak Harbor. Looking at purchasing a m923a2 after returning from deployment. I understand that it is equiped with air brakes and not air over hydraulics. Just wondering if I can drive this 5 ton on my regular drivers licenses or do I need to get a cdl.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Have you talked to your local DMV? I'd trust the state before I'd trust the advice of just anyone from the web.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlrequired.html
Do you need a CDL:
26001 lbs or more=yes. My A2 comes in at about 22500. You put any load on it and you will be at the threshold.
Tow any trailer because it weighs over 10000=yes.
You will need the air brake restriction removed from your license anyway, might as well get it over with and get the CDL.

Can it be done without getting a CDL? According to their own site yes, but it is so on the edge you are asking for trouble.
The manufacturers weight rating means maximum weight rating of the truck , not the trucks actual empty weight . The M923A2 has a GVWR 35,550. So with the information in the link you provided you need ar least a class B CDL.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stationed? Are you currently in the service and licensed to operat such a vehicle? If so, you may be OK with your military license.

The Local licensing dept is the place to find out for sure.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm pretty sure I know someone with a brain tumor. Can someone on this site tell me the best way to remove it for them?

1StumpJumper

Commercial drivers license requirements are for and only apply to vehicles used IN COMMERCE. Weight and air brake qualifiers do not apply to private vehicles. Think big RVs and bus type motor homes. SHOULD you, yes to CYA, but required, no.

Last edited:

quickfarms

Commercial drivers license requirements are for and only apply to vehicles used IN COMMERCE. Weight and air brake qualifiers do not apply to private vehicles. Think big RVs and bus type motor homes. SHOULD you, yes to CYA, but required, no.
Do you have a vehicle code citation for that exemption?

Amer-team

There are several threads that pertain to this with very good explanations. The key work to all these discussions is "Commercial". Are you using the vehicle for a commercial use? If the answer is no, as Stumpjumper replied, you have a private vehicle and are not subject to the CDL requirements. If you need an official position, check with one of the Weights and Measurement, State Patrol Officials to explain this.

You will have a near heart attack when you go to license this vehicle if it is under 30 years old. Over 30 qualifies for an historic Vehicle plate in WA. Even then the license was around 300 plus tax, which you already paid to GL. And depending on how you pay tonnage, it may be a bit more.

If your MOS has you driving large trucks in the service, we are working on ways so that current service members can acquire their CDL's while in the service, so when they get out, they would be ready to transition into a career that a CDL is required. If you need that info, PM me and we will talk about it.

None of this is to blow off a CDL with a cavalier attitude. Be familiar and comfortable with your truck, if you aren't, have someone work with you and check you out on it before you take it on the road.

1StumpJumper

Do you have a vehicle code citation for that exemption?
[h=2]RCW 46.04.140[/h][h=1]Commercial vehicle.[/h]

"Commercial vehicle" means any vehicle the principal use of which is the transportation of commodities, merchandise, produce, freight, animals, or passengers for hire.
[1961 c 12 § 46.04.140. Prior: 1959 c 49 § 15; prior: (i) 1943 c 153 § 1, part; 1937 c 188 § 1, part; Rem. Supp. 1943 § 6312-1, part. (ii) 1937 c 189 § 1, part; RRS § 6360-1, part.]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks