• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waste Oil Containers

Sumoman

Numerous threads and none covered my simple topic. I just wanted to know how you all store your waste oil. I have access to the following:

A continuos supply of waste oil, and a supply of 55 gallon metal drums.

At this point I can grab 5-7 barrels of waste oil, with only the barrels being the restriction on the amount of waste oil. My mechanic has even offered to save it direct into the drums to I do not have to clean out other fluids that typically get added in (coolant, etc). I have a supply of 55 gallon drums since my city buys it in huge barrels to have enough on hand for fire trucks and the like.

I would like to know how you store yours, if you do anything at all besides put it in barrels after filtering. If having everything dumped in one area (tranny, oil, trans, etc) will affect my using it for fuel once the mix is cleaned.

Thanks, and any ideas would be great!

grounded

Banned
I dump all my fluids (hydraulic, trans, oil, gear) all in totes. i have 275 gallon totes and also 55 gallon drums that i keep at other peoples places. I am right now running it threw a filter system.

I am working on right now setting up a "BULK" system of used oil. I have a 4000 (yes 4 thousand) gallon bulk tank that im going to start to use and a old gas station fuel pump that im going to transfer all my fluids into and essentially have my own fueling station ready to go for my multi-fuels.

MEANS you brought this up and not to steal any thunder. but I been talking to a few members already and is there anyone on here that is needing a continous supply of WMO. granted you would have to come here. but i get 6-800 gallon of WMO a MONTH!! and also if you cup of tea is WVO i can get you 200+ gallon a month that is guaranteed. Im going to start getting all the WMO i can get. but with only a 4000 gallon tank i cant keep up with the 6-800 gallon each month ;) for what i use.

TexAndy

Friend in my church just gave me a 300 and a 500 gal tank, both with about a 8 or 10 ft stand.

I'm guessing they'll work. I'll post some pics a bit later.

dm22630

Same as G-man.........I use 275 gallon pallet tanks a.k.a. IBC tank. Also 2,000 and 5,000 gallon tank trailers. Soon will add 7 8,000 gallon above ground storage tanks to the collection. My belief is simple.........get it while you can. Sure as the sun does shine the price of fuel is going to be back to where it was last summer............and the day's coming, I think not so long off, that the price will go much higher.
Glad I have a multi..........I'll burn whatever I have.............and I'll have many, many gallons of it.

What kind of permits do you have to get in order to get that many tanks!?!? :shock:

davesgmc

my waste oil tank @ work (500 gallon) was just emptied yesterday, the price they are paying for waste oil is down to $.35 now. Just a year ago i was selling the stuff for $1.45/gallon. I would have saved it to run in my big truck, but I cant use that much i the truck and had to empty my tank asap, it was completely full. There is a local guy on craigslist here that is selling filtered soy oil for use in diesels, he is getting $1.25/gallon for it currently.

wdbtchr

I have two of the 275 pallet tanks I got for free from work, we had many of them setting around from raw materials from Bayer in Germany. I wish now I'd gotten several more while I had the chance.

I have a few 55 gallon drums and a heating oil tank that I've never used. Don't know if the oil tank is any good, never checked it.

I've see several semi type fuel trailers on GSA from time to time. Don't know why you couldn't park one of those and use it for storage, wouldn't need a tractor then. Depending where you live of course.

I have a small but steady supply of wmo coming in, more than I currently use, so I'm slowly building a reserve. With the two 5 ton trucks, 4X4 forklift and soon to be diesel Cub tractor I'm doing OK.

AndrewH

I have two heating oil tanks. 300g apice as the final tanks, the oil is filtered into those tanks and they are plumbed to polish or to fill the truck. unfiltered storage is 55g drums. I call it the deuce fuel depo. It is a work in progress at this point. I have to move hoses to switch tanks ect. I am building a valve manifold to make it easier.

ARYankee

Ok guys. Now I have some questions about this. I just attained a 55 gallon metal drum for my WMO. What type of filtering works good? Do you filter before you store or after or both? I also wanted to know how you went about getting it from other sources. I was wanting to get into this for some of the same reasons mentioned above and now seems to be a great time. I also need to work on getting more containers.

wdbtchr

I use one 275 pallet container for "ditry" oil as I call it. I gather my oil in 5 gallon containers from oil changes and pump it into that tank through my large Baldwin 20 micron filter.

I use the second 275 pallet container for "clean" oil storage. That is oil from the "dirty" tank using the same oil pump and Baldwin filter with an added valved in 5 micron spin on filter. I also fill my vehicles from the "dirty" oil tank using the 5 micron filter as a polishing filter.

If you change your own oil, you should be collecting oil already. Figuring 5 quarts per change, 4 times a year gives you 5 gallons per car, I'm maintaining 6 cars right now, not counting oil changes on the two 5 tons, three tractors, and the all terrain forklift. Add the odd oil and hydraulic fluid and transmission fluid donated from others that know I collect, I have more oil than I burn most of the time. Start small and work up.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What permits?

First, don't live around city slickers.

Second, it's no one's business.

Third, avoid tree huggers.
Why avoid tree huggers, you have an excavator in your pic, just plant them next to their favorite flora.

;-)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks