• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water circulation issue! NO HEAT NOW FROM HEATER/DEF.

hokie8358

NEED MAJOR HELP ON THIS ONE SINCE ITS WINTER TIME!! JUST SWAPPED IN A BUILT CHEVY 502CID MOTOR FOR THE TIRED WEAK
6.2 DIESEL! I JUST PUT IN A BRAND NEW 180 THERMASTAT IN WATER NECK AND TOPPED RADIATOR OFF WITH 50/50 ANTIFREEZE.

THIS MOTOR DOES NOT OVERHEAT AND WITH THE FAN ON HI,I CAN NOT GET ANY HEAT TO BLOW OUT FOR NEARLY 20 TO 30 MINS!
THEN AT BEST ITS LUKE WARM.BEFORE WITH DIESEL,I WAS SWEATING WITHIN 5 MINS AND CUTTING HEAT OFF! I CAN ALSO AFTER 10 MILES HARD DRIVING,STOP THE TRUCK AND POP THE RADIATOR CAP AND ONLY WARM VAPORS POUR OUT!! NO PRESSURE AT ALL! ITS ALMOST AS IF THE COOLANT SYSTEM IS NOT CIRCULATING THE WATER! I VE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE IN ALL MY ENGINE SWAPS!!I AM LOST, PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFO ON THIS ONE!!!aua

woodywood

Private
get a new thermostat.stay away from the ones that lock open when you take it out you will find it is locked open therefor not allowing the engine to heat up also i would use a 190

hokie8358

Ya good deal i will try all that in the a.m saturday! Someone also suggested that the impellar on the water pump may be trashed and not pumping! That is the original pump that came with motor! I ve not checked it yet!

mudman

Remove the two hoses that run to the heater core. Use a garden hose on low speed on one of the removed hoses, see if water will run though the core. Reverse the garden hose and see how much crap comes out. Do this several times back and forth. You be shocked how much stuff is stuck in there. Also as you do this speed up the garden hose each time. Becareful not the damage the heater core itself. Did you put in a new Radiator too? You will need atleast a 190 degree thermostat as Woody said, if not a 210. some reason it's not getting to Operating temperature and not sharing it with th carb.!!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple of things. Do you have the correct water pump? There are clockwise and counter clockwise pumps. Belts or serpentine? Are heater hoses hooked up correctly?

Im with the others. Sounds like a bad thermostat.

wilogger

I replaced the thermostat in my dads Mack this fall, it worked 2 days and then stuck shut, Mack gave us a new one and said it happens ever since they started getting them from China! Don't think just cause u get a new part that it's good unfortunately.

hokie8358

did not get a chance to check it out. was working on the other 1028 thats diesel! glow plug issue,go figure!
yes, its a 85 model 454 block and was a v-belt set-up! i am going to pull stuff and check everything! yae, radiator cap was new also!

hokie8358

lot of trash did come out of the heater core, when backflushed with water from hose. the el-cheapo thermastat was the culprit!!! waste of cash on these chinese co salled new junk parts!!! live and learn i guess!!! thanks for all replys!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks