• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in fuel maybe, M988

M988Tarvin

I washed my m998 yesterday. I pressure washed it very well. And i think it has caused a problem. I think i might have gotten some water in the fuel fill line. I sprayed it very well around the filler neck coupling.... driving it home 10 miles away it started surging on power right as I was getting home. Today I drove it a few miles and the same. except it stalled out on me and had no power and was blowing white smoke. Then it cleared up and was normal good power. Then the no power and smoke. Then all clear, it's weird that's y I think it's water. It's got 1/2 tank right now I did try bleed the water out still does it any suggestion? Thanks

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did any water come out of the filter when you drained it? If so let it sit over night. Enough time for the water to settle to the bottom of the fuel tank. There is a small black drain on the bottom of the fuel tank. Drain the water off there. If this is the case replace the fuel filter and clean the water separator inside the filter.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a bottle of Stanadyne , add it after you have done the work that Ken stated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

Did you not have the cap on the filler neck? That should be airtight at that spot.
And, try not to pressure wash through the hood grills. You can bend the cooling stack fins.

M988Tarvin

Cap was on. In between the filler neck and tank there's a rubber boot with 2 hose clamps on it. It had a lot of mud in that area so it got sprayed heavley. I just put 2 bottles of water remover in the 1/2 full tank. And drove it around the yard trying to mix it in. I was still doing the same up and down on power with white smoke at wot when it was down on power. Smoke clears out when power is up. I had it idling and cracked the water separator, it ran for a second then died and won't start back. This truck is in very good shape. To good to have been in the sand box. Idk what going on other than it's a fuel issue.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you let the water out and nothing came out and the engine stalled and won’t restart you need a fuel pump. The same happened to me. Check the treads from last week on no fuel and there’s plenty of ways to confirm the fuel pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Action

So, when you have lots of throttle and no power, you got white smoke, which could be unburnt fuel. Maybe running too rich at that point. Look at you air restriction gauge and push the little button at the bottom. Does the little meter fall? Meaning, is your air filter plugged up?

M988Tarvin

Air filter is New. It acts almost like it has been ran out of fuel and its not all the way primed yet. U know how a old tractor will spit and sputter then clear up then sputter till it gets the fuel up. I have put 97 miles on it since my last fill up. And I have put about 2k on it total since I got it. It's gotta be fuel related.

M988Tarvin

UPDATE... drained all fuel out. Replaced 10 gal of fresh. And 1 bottle of clean diesel. It will start and run fine. But when it idles for a few min it starts running rough and trying to die. I can give it throttle and it sputter and white smokes for a few seconds then it clears up. Cycle repeats. I'm now thinking it's got a injector stuck open, and its loading up?? Any thoughts??

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does it run while driving? If you had water in the other fuel. Try driving it with the fresh fuel and see if it clears up.

M988Tarvin

I will drive it see if it helps. But I went through the cycle of it idling for a few min. Then it would start sputtering. I would hold it at wot for a bout 30 sec. It would blow a lot of white smoke rpm stay around 1300 at wot!! till it clears up.rpm would go up as normal and it would idle again for a few min.then the same thing. I did that for about 15 min. Its very repeatable and consistent.

M988Tarvin

Lol my 1st thought oil is clear coolant hasn't moved either. And the exhaust smell to much like raw diesel. Do these 6.2l injectors give problems with them sticking?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You would need to have more that one sticking injector to keep the engine from getting above 1300 at WOT. And the white cloud coming from the exhaust would be epic. It would not be drivable if it couldn't get above 1300 in netural. If you haven't drove it since you replaced the fuel, I would bet you still have water in the fuel that is in the lines/fuel filter housing/Injector pump and nozzles. Idling the engine would not help much. 6.2s use very little fuel idling. Water if present has collected in the injector bodies. You will have to drive it to push it out. I would bet the fuel filter has water in the little green water separator in the middle. I would at least take the filter out and clean the water separator. I would also open the drain, unplug the power wire on the IP, then crank the engine over to flush the fuel lines. When you drained the tank, how much water did you get out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks