• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in oil in M925A1 - New addition

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck,
PM me your email address and I'll send some info on cylinder kits. $80 a kit plus shipping.
JC

Truckoholic

Okay, got the head off, and the piston and broken liner out. Still not entirely sure what happened, but it appears that something bad happened....:popcorn:

Ha ha.

But seriously..... Now that I examine the parts real closely... I can see that there is a lot of gouging to the inside of the broken cylinder liner pieces, which tells me that obviously something tragic happened with the piston, or the piston rings, and that in turn ended up breaking the liner. NOT a problem with the block. If it was a problem with the block that caused the liner to break, the pieces would have fallen down, broken up, but not all gouged up by the piston. It is obvious here, that the problem with the piston is what caused the liner to break. Maybe when the truck was overhauled in 2005, whatever mechanic that put the rings on that piston, either put them on wrong, or damaged them as he was trying to get the piston back in that hard to reach hole at the back of the engine. That would make the most sense.

I have to analyze this stuff and figure out the cause for my own sanity, so that I can put it back together and not be paranoid all the time that it's going to break down on me again. ha ha.

So yeah..... That's my findings...... The liner was most definitely broken by a problem with the piston. And I am very glad that the truck was not run a whole lot more, and all of the damage appears to be contained to the piston and liner, and I don't see any problems with the block.

If you look at this piece right here,

IMG_3568.jpg you can see that something hit the bottom of it hard. And I think that was possibly the fatal blow.

IMG_3566.jpg IMG_3565.jpgIMG_3567.jpgIMG_3569.jpg

And here is what one of the bearings looks like. Looks like maybe a little spotting from the anti-freeze in the oil, and a few small gouges from metal bits that circulated through the oil. But, I personally don't think it's enough to worry about. I mean, sure some of the ones I did not take out may look worse. But it still was making 45psi indicated oil pressure at idle, and this engine was overhauled only 2300 miles ago. So, I'm not going to bother changing out the bearings. Putting the new liner and piston, and head gasket on, and gonna go with it.
IMG_3570.jpg

Look at that nice clean piston:)
IMG_3571.jpgIMG_3572.jpg

There's my wiener dog, named Glowplug, watching me work.
IMG_3573.jpg

o1951

Somebody sure heard that when it let loose.:!:
I concur with your diagnosis.
See very little cavitation on liner, indicating correct was antifreeze used.

Truckoholic

Okay....What do you guys make of this? And do you think this could have contributed to my liner/piston problem, or maybe this happened as a result of the piston/liner problem, or just something entirely unrelated?

The top half of this thrust washer, or whatever it's called was located in the oil pan. But I looked it over very closely, and can not see any damage to it whatsoever. I would expect there to be some sort of damage to it if something came in contact with it, and dislodged it from it's position on the crankshaft. I looked in the TM, and the TM mentions putting it in place, but does not say how it is retained there. I can clearly see that the bottom half has a roll pin holding it in place in the notch at the center of the curve, but I can not see a hole for a roll pin to hold the top half in place. Originally I thought it was a piece of the bottom of the piston, because it just happens to be exactly the same size as the piston, if you had two halves put together in a circle. But upon further investigation, I discovered it actually belongs on the crankshaft in the location shown in this picture.
thrust.jpg

Here is the roll pin at the bottom of the crankshaft holding the lower half of this big aluminum thrust washer in place. But even though the top section has a notch for a roll pin, I can not see any hole for a roll pin to go in, and the TM doesn't mention one. It just says to put the thrust washer in place.
IMG_3595.jpg

thrust2.jpgthrust3.jpg

I put it back in place, and now can not get it back out. It seems to be very much held in place now, by the little ridge around the one side which goes under the lip of the edge of the crankshaft. But, since I don't know how it came out in the first place, it kind of scares me that if it possibly was a contributing factor to my cylinder liner breaking apart, that it might come out again. But like I said, there is no hole that I can see for a roll pin to hold it in place like there is for the bottom half of it. But, I can't get it back out, and I'm not about to drop the whole crankshaft just to get it back out of there, since it's looking like that's what I would have to do at this point to get it back out. So I don't think it's going anywhere, and I hope that it just didn't get put in properly the first time. My only fear was the possibility of the number six piston not getting enough lubricating oil or something with this piece missing, and the piston therefor sticking to the liner and causing it to break up. But I just don't know. I don't think this piece missing would affect the lubrication of the cylinder. I'm hoping that it somehow just got knocked out of place when the cylinder had its problem, although like I said, I see absolutely no damage to this aluminum piece indicating that something hit it and knocked it out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks