• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in the cylinders

trooper632

Hello, Well I need some advise. We had had some rain down here and noticed when I opened the hood on a cucv I noticed that the air cleaner cover had standing water on it. Well obviously the hood is leaking somewhere and it collects on the air cleaner lid. I open the lid and notice that water is standing in the intake and quite a bit. So its probably in the cylinders so whats the best way to get the water out of the cylinders. Take out glow plugs and or injectors and turn the key until its all blown out or what.

Monkeyboyarmy

Before you do that, you may want to check for water in the oil in case it got by the rings. Then I would pull the glow plugs and crank it over. You may even concider barring the engine over with a wrench before using the starter.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was posted in the WW2 CCKW forum. Moved to the CUCV forum

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good advise so far. Check oil first. Remove glowplugs and either hand turn the crank or spin with the starter.

cucvrus

Wow that must be quite the leak in the hood and air cleaner assembly. Never saw that before. Even after driving thru streams or being towed thru one. That water leak needs to be addressed.

trooper632

Back in action,,,,,,,,,, I pulled out all the glow plugs, sucked out the water from the intake then hit the key and pumped out all the water out of the cylinders. I then sprayed a lot of starting fluid in the intake while a friend cranked the engine over, just trying to get all the moisture out. Let the truck sit about 5 minutes trying to let all the fluid evaporate then reinstalled the glow plugs and had the friend turn the engine over without activating the glow plugs just in case there was still vapor in the cylinders. Well the vehicle fired up on the turn of the key. (Guess there was still some in there, Lol). Good news is, it runs great and there was no water in the oil. Oh, I am going to change the oil just in case.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks