• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in the oil

technoid

Hello, I just got my online auction generator delivered. Its an MEP 803a. I thought i got a nice deal but there was more water to oil in the crankcase. It might be a cracked head or blown gasket. Where can i get engine parts? Its a 1994. I think its an Onan engine.

csheath

Don't jump to conclusions. Was the exhaust flap taped closed?

I would drain all fluids, fill the radiator with water, and pressurize it to see if any water makes it back into the sump.

See if the engine turns by hand. If it looks good from there refill with oil and try to start it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost always rain water. Pro tip: don’t buy the units with no exhaust flapper in the pics.

technoid

That is exactly what I think it is. No exhaust flapper. I ran 10w 30 mobile1 in it and drained twice with oil filters. Then dumped it again and put the 20w 40 with 3rd new filter. It runs like a clock. I am watching the antifreeze level now. Going to load the engine tomorrow after I pick up the correct plug for the transfer switch.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The flapper is a two part assembly: the actual flapping lid, and a simple hinge. Do you have either part or are both gone?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I was going to send him that info separately, if thats all he needs. The hinge is tougher to come by... might need to go tractor flap if its gone.

Guyfang

Staff member
If you look at the TM, you will notice that the The hinge is coded XB. Items coded XB are normally not stocked, and can be only had by salvage or theft.

dependable

A while back, there was a big lot of 802s that sat in GL yard for a while with a lot of snow on them(the sale pictures showed at least 6 inches). Perhaps some flappers were a little bent, or somehow water got in during freeze thaw cycles. Some members here bought them and they had water in motors even though flapper was present on their generators.

Most people added flappers to extension, I went with a downturn, like are stock on the 002s and 3s. Always noticed a rattle from the flappers on my tractor and chipper, wanted to avoid that with my new "Tactical Quiet" generator.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
The down turn is for another reason, on the 002A and 003A. The elbows were added years after the set came out. The stock pipes pointed the very hot exhaust down directly onto the batteries. The extra heat caused the cells to dry out, and we were putting 4-5 sets of batteries in every year. Some young soldier figured it out and put in a suggestion.

dependable

How were the 002-003 exhausts before? On the ones I've seen the exhaust turns down, welded at muffler, sort of toward batteries at a 45 degree angle off muffler. Did they have them at 90 degrees?

Guyfang

Staff member
The "stock" exhaust were welded to the exhaust manafold. The 45 degree elbows were added to direct the exchaust away from the battery trays. The parts TM give you a general idea of what was before and after. The adapters were supposed to direct the exchaust away at horz. Angle to the set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks