• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in the Rear axle on M1008

84cucv1ton

Trying to get this truck road ready. Took off the rear cover yesterday. I got more water than gear oil. I sprayed everything down with brake cleaner. From what I can see it looks okay. Should I refill it and call it good or should I take the whole axle apart and check? thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pull the axle shafts to flush the wheel ends out. Then refill with GO90 and run about 20 miles, then drain and refill again. If it has been driven full of water for long, it is likely the ring and pinion is damaged.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would be more worried about pitted bearings/races then anything else.

cucvrus

I would tend to think you should be OK. Like NDT said drain it pull the axles clean it all up again refill it and run it for a while and repeat the whole cleaning and refilling again. They are pretty tough axles. After all the second time you have the axle cover off you can look at the magnet. And then this change in on a bi annual basis for a while. My opinion.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would be more worried about pitted bearings/races then anything else.
I got to agree with Ron on the bearings . And the only way to know the condition of them is to pull it apart and inspect them, it's probably a good idea on a 30 year old truck anyways .

Chaski

I'd second the bearing inspection. I almost bought a low mileage M1008, but water / mud had entered the front axle and the pinion bearings were toast. Odd thing was the ring and pinion looked great, just the bearings were shot. Maybe get a dial indicator on your pinion and give it a wiggle, along with indicating off your drums to see how much play you have. At least it is your rear axle, a 14 bolt is about as easy as it gets to service.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would look where the rollers/race touch, the oil will tend to be squeezed out, leaving a thin bit of moisture = rust/pitting

Csm Davis

If you're going to be in there anyway go ahead and replace the wheel bearings and seals it is cheap insurance and then you know what you have. I personally would clean the heck out of it and look really good at the chunk bearings and seals possibly remove and replace them and know that you have a like new rear axle.

84cucv1ton

Just got the axle shafts out. I'm thinking wherever this truck was parked it was flooded. New bearings and seals on the way it is in case I need them. Hope to button this up in the morning. Was thinking about putting compressed air down the tubes to see if I can get some more of it out. Can't believe how full it was

Chaski

I 2nd that the color isn't anything to worry about. As long as there isn't scoring or wear from the race turning on the spindle you are good. I stuck with drums on mine. I like having a good parking brake. New shoes, hardware and slaves was pretty cheap on rock auto.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks