• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water in Transmission question . 1078 1997

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last Friday i hopped in the truck after not driving the truck for awhile. Checked fluid levels and drove around 25 miles. I was dropping the truck off at buddies house so he could do some cabinetry work on the camper box.
Got to his house and noticed that dripping had occurred under the transmission that looked like oil/water mixture. Checked the transmission and its definitely contaminated. Checked the radiator header tank and it still had coolant with no signs of contamination. Checked the location where the dipstick goes into the transmission i noticed that the seal that seals the dipstick tube to the transmission had been damaged and am guessing water was leaking onto the transmission during all the rain we had received.
I have already swapped out to Allison transmission fluid and was shifting great.

Any wisdom of how i should proceed to change out the fluid? How do I make sure that i get all water out of the transmission? Just multiple fluid changes?

Thanks, Blair

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly multiple fluid changes is probably the best option…
Quick update,
Decided to take the truck to a mechanic. Didn't want to change the fluid in front of my friends house. Truck center replaced dipstick grommets and seal, Pressure tested transmission cooling system (no issues) and as a matter of routine sent transmission oil sample out to be tested. Came back with what we already knew, water in the transmission. Their course of action is to recommend a transmission rebuild. My idea is to make sure all the water has been drained out and refill it.
Anybody have experience with having got water in the transmission before and its long term effects?
Blair

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anybody have experience with having got water in the transmission before and its long term effects?
Not personal experience, but what that man in the vid is explaining, is exactly what happened to my buddy, not too long ago.
(His is an older Chevy with a TH400)

Video: Got water in your transmission?

coachgeo

Not personal experience, but what that man in the vid is explaining, is exactly what happened to my buddy, not too long ago.
(His is an older Chevy with a TH400)

Video: Got water in your transmission?
uggg...... but this seems to be very different volumes of H20.

on the trans oil test?? what was the % or other measurment they found in the trans oil?

Third From Texas

Quick update,
Decided to take the truck to a mechanic. Didn't want to change the fluid in front of my friends house. Truck center replaced dipstick grommets and seal, Pressure tested transmission cooling system (no issues) and as a matter of routine sent transmission oil sample out to be tested. Came back with what we already knew, water in the transmission. Their course of action is to recommend a transmission rebuild. My idea is to make sure all the water has been drained out and refill it.
Blair

Sadly, I do. Never did determine how the water got in there (truck came that way).

That brownish goo is the coating from the clutch packs in my case. Trans rebuild was more than the truck value (rebuild kit's are hard to locate and don't forget the t-case shares the same contamination). You're looking at $12--15K for a rebuild (not including the transfer case). I considered buying a takeout trans/t-case but after shipping it's a great deal of work doing the swap with no assurance that the replacement trans is viable.

I sold the truck for parts.

Flush her out a few times (at every possible cooler line and orifice) , replace the filters, and see if it drives w/o issue. Test your solenoids (as they can fail to moisture). You may get lucky. If not, a takeout replacement is the least expensive option (but a gamble).

20210204_124945.jpg

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly, I do. Never did determine how the water got in there (truck came that way).

That brownish goo is the coating from the clutch packs in my case. Trans rebuild was more than the truck value (rebuild kit's are hard to locate and don't forget the t-case shares the same contamination). You're looking at $12--15K for a rebuild (not including the transfer case). I considered buying a takeout trans/t-case but after shipping it's a great deal of work doing the swap with no assurance that the replacement trans is viable.

I sold the truck for parts.

Flush her out a few times (at every possible cooler line and orifice) , replace the filters, and see if it drives w/o issue. Test your solenoids (as they can fail to moisture). You may get lucky. If not, a takeout replacement is the least expensive option (but a gamble).

View attachment 891642
That doesn't look good. I assume that was motor oil inside? "Hope" is not my typical plan in life but in this case I hope the water wasnt in there long enough to damage anything.

Blair

Third From Texas

The % of water isn't really all that important.

The clutches are coated in an asbestos-like material. The adhesive it's applied with is water soluble. It sadly doesn't take much to wipe the clutches clean of their traction resulting in slip.

In the end, either the clutches got wet or they didn't. And if they got wet, the amount of surface material loss is what causes slippage. It may still work flawlessly; it may work with a limited lifespan; it may slip in the gears associated to any surface loss. There's really no way of telling w/o a complete teardown.

The trans controller will often indicate slippage on the display in the form of an error (even if no slippage is "felt"). It may code as a "solenoid short" but it's often actually a result of the slippage as a result of clutch damage (not the solenoid actually failing to engage/maintain pressure).

Again, unless you've already seen slippage I would flush, flush, flush. What percentage of water was present isn't going to tell you anything pertinent.

Good luck !

Last edited:

Ronmar

I would say time is at least as important as concentration. In the end the only thing you can do is get it out and eliminate the source, and the sooner you do that the better... will the trans survive? Only time will tell…

love those videos from “professionals” like tim the transmission guy. Very lacking on specific details, like how long the guy drove it before discovering the water… ‘If this happens to you, don't bother trying to fix it yourself, just put it on a trailer and bring it to me… Oh, don’t forget your checkbook, cause you are gonna need it”…:)

Good Luck!

Blairg

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can drop the pan/pack and look right up into the trans assembly. Thats alot of water for one leaky dipstick seal. Ive seen the fill tube hose crack before.
Having only had the pan dropped to put in some new solenoids, what would you see that could indicate condition? My theory on the water egress came from finding that seal badly damaged and the area being a flat surface exposed to rain. We have had a ton of rain as of late and i hadn't driven the truck during those times. I will check the dipstick fill tube when i see the truck.
Thanks
Blair

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks