• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water leaking into cab

bushhawg73

I am having the same type problem, I beleive it is the kick panel vents leaking also. I also found the cavity for the vent to be filled with leaves. Gona try and clean all this out this weekend.:grd:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the windshield wiper arms off then the cowl vent grill. Then look for the rust hole in the seam where it is spot welded. All my chevy truck leak there. both the mil and civi trucks.

Brad M

Ok so add me to the list of people having this issue. So far haven’t dug into it too much because of all the dead mice (former farm truck) I’ve pulled from the easy parts of the truck to get to (left one in the intake valley because hands are too big to get to the mummy yet). But I guess it’s time to pull the kick vents and look down in the bowels of the fender well and see what was left there for the ages. So since this is my first Chevy full sized truck how hard is it to pull the wiper arms and remove the cowl to look down in and clean it out good? Can some one give me a basic step by step or tell me a page in the TM's that covers it. Thank you all and I hope most of you are not having these issues. I'm still pulling barn hay from mine in places I'd rather not mention. Cleaning out the radiator support brackets got me another mummified mouse the other day also.

firecontrol86

Basically every time I have a little extra money I'm picking up seals and gaskets for the whole truck. Like someone else said, seals don't last 20+ years and I'm sure all the ones on mine are original because they are all shot! I started with windows and the vent windows are next. I don't think I'll ever have it watertight, just want to keep cancer from spreading.

Hasdrubal

I'm with the windshield area as the possible culprit. Seen it happen a few times. Take the windshield out, they're easy to re & re. There are a couple of drain holes at the two corners that allow the water to drain out, if these get plugged the water rises up over the lip and comes down inside the cab, drops behind the glove box and onto the upper floor-firewall. Also you could have some rust forming on this lip that the windshield rubber seals onto, the rust starts expanding and can allow water to seep through. I've checked the kick panel vent a few times but it was never the source of the leak because the cavity is sealed along the top so its always dry inside, at least its supposed to be originally, its only open to the elements on the bottom.

Brad M

Ok so I picked up a windshield wiper puller today and found Figure 128 in TM-9-2320-289-20P, which gives me clues on pulling the outer cowl cover to see what is what behind the scenes. Too bad, I ran out of daylight. I figured out how to hold the clip and get the wiper removed so the rest should be gravy when I get time. At least the rain has subsided for now. I did also check the lower portion below the vents from the outside and there is enough room for those mice to drive trucks by so i think there is no obstruction. I am counting on something in the cowl but i will let you all know once i get into it. Now for the question, where do you find replacement hood hinge weather stripping (the foam piece) to replace the old stuff? LMC and Classic are both dead ends. They only have the plastic grill and rubber strip from the hood to the cowl. I am also wondering if the studs have rubber grommets that might need replacing and where to find them.

Now for the question, where do you find replacement hood hinge weather stripping (the foam piece) to replace the old stuff? LMC and Classic are both dead ends. They only have the plastic grill and rubber strip from the hood to the cowl. I am also wondering if the studs have rubber grommets that might need replacing and where to find them.

Not sure exactly what you are talking about here, but if you go to NAPA and look in their painting supply isle, there is a product made by 3M that comes in a flat box with a hole in the middle. There is a roll of this black tarry caulking which comes in several different sizes of thickness, and it makes a great sealer for many things on vehicles from windshields to the kick panel vents which almost allways leak from the old weather stripping getting old. Also, I noticed you said you had to stop working becuase of darkness. Go get yourself one of those LED headbands that take 3 of the AAA batteries and light up wherever you look since it turns automatically with your head while you where it. I don't know how I got along without mine for so many years, but once you get one and start using it, you will see what I mean.

Brad M

Not sure exactly what you are talking about here
I have attached is the best image I could scrounge up. There is one on each side of the cowl where the hinges attach to keep water out.
I noticed you said you had to stop working becuase of darkness. Go get yourself one of those LED headbands that take 3 of the AAA batteries and light up wherever you look since it turns automatically with your head while you where it. I don't know how I got along without mine for so many years, but once you get one and start using it, you will see what I mean.
I have one at work, forgot to bring it home.

Attachments

Brad M

Update, since my cowl was rusty I picked up one at the local pull-a-part. It gives me some practice on pulling one so I would not damage it. Today it was painted so I pulled my rusty one and dove on in to see what I could find. There is not much in there you can see so I had to feel around and I found some of the foam by my passenger vent not in properly and still wet. I put in the new cowl and plastic guard and will watch in the future. BTW after getting it off the foam seals were not nearly as bad as i thought.

I also noticed where I replaced my heater hoses just inside the firewall some water that appears to be from pulling the hose and the seal not being tight to the engine bay. The insulation appeared to soak some of it up and then it moved over by the kick panel also.

Will check after the next rain.

lindyp38

update, since my cowl was rusty i picked up one at the local pull-a-part. It gives me some practice on pulling one so i would not damage it. Today it was painted so i pulled my rusty one and dove on in to see what i could find. There is not much in there you can see so i had to feel around and i found some of the foam by my passenger vent not in properly and still wet. I put in the new cowl and plastic guard and will watch in the future. Btw after getting it off the foam seals were not nearly as bad as i thought.

i also noticed where i replaced my heater hoses just inside the firewall some water that appears to be from pulling the hose and the seal not being tight to the engine bay. The insulation appeared to soak some of it up and then it moved over by the kick panel also.

will check after the next rain.
can u please post a few pics of this.....if possible.....as my driver side kick panel vent is leaking.....thanks

two areas on my 1009 leaked. Pull wipers off and cowl vent ,there is a body seam where firewall and cowl meet. I use seam filler in a caulk tube. Then there as everyone says the vents on the side by your foot remove get some weather strip from home depot restrip and your done.