• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water leaks

63bravo

have a 1985 cucv blazer , can anyone help with water leaks ,the front of the cap is leaking and also water from under the dash both sides ??

thj327

Cap? If you are talking about top to body of cab then it's the header seal needs replacing. And for lower dash, on mine it was the fresh air vents on the lower a-pillars need seals. Can get them from lmc or classic truck parts. Replacing the top seals are a chore did mine back in the summer time. Took a while.

63bravo

ok gonna order that cap seal, will the cap have to be removed ? and as for the leaks in the front it seems like the water is dripping from either the windshild or the cowel vents .., and thanks for your response

Hasdrubal

I've never seen one leak at the cowl vents, it should be dry above that (inside). I'ts always been from the pinch weld where the windshield rubber sits on. A little bit of rust starts here and allows a gap where water goes over the edge. Had water coming from both side corners. About 20 small rust spots found. Cleaned up the rust and some silicone in the rubber channel this time. You can get underneath the glove box with a light and look up. You'll see if its leaking at the windshield rubber at the bottom corner pinch weld.

thj327

Yes top has to be removed. And when you do mine as well replace all the top seals when it's off. There is actually two seals against the cab, one on the top and one on the body.

dougco1

I had water leaks in my M1009 cap also. I knew I would never remove the top so I took my utility knife and cut the old gasket from the outside. I then caulked the seam with black urethane windshield caulk, smoothing it out with plastic spoons before it cured. I left the excess caulking ridge lines alone till it was good and dry and carefully removed them with a razor blade and feathered the edges with some sand paper. Then I sprayed it with RAPCO paint and now it looks like a smooth factory welded seem. I did this two years ago and it hasn't leaked or peeled at all. Just keep in mind that when your using urethane caulk to use rubber gloves. That stuff will stay on your hands for weeks.

dougco1

Pick up a few tubes of the urethane caulk at a glass shop that replaces windshields. They have the good commercial quality.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks