• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water manifold leak can't find gaskets

flvet352

While I have been busy repairing other areas of my truck, I now notice that I have a coolant leak from the very rear of the upper end on the passenger side. At first I was terrified that I had a bad head gasket, but I later discovered that it was leaking from the rear most inlet of the back water manifold. I immediately went online and attempted to locate and price a gasket set. Unfortunately, I cannot locate any. Would it be acceptable to use a gasket compound like RTV in place of the actual gaskets?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
While I have been busy repairing other areas of my truck, I now notice that I have a coolant leak from the very rear of the upper end on the passenger side. At first I was terrified that I had a bad head gasket, but I later discovered that it was leaking from the rear most inlet of the back water manifold. I immediately went online and attempted to locate and price a gasket set. Unfortunately, I cannot locate any. Would it be acceptable to use a gasket compound like RTV in place of the actual gaskets?
Available from white owl

V8srfun

If you have the patience you can save lots of money by buying gasket paper and cutting your own out. I have been doing this for some of the projects I have been working on and I am very satisfied with the results. With a lot practice you can make gaskets that look as nice as purchased ones and in some cases nicer. I love when making my own gasket that there is no excess material hanging out at the edges so it looks much cleaner.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use CorelDRAW and my laser to make my gaskets. Often times I will scan the portion of the part that requires the gasket, convert it to a vector graphic and send it to my laser to cut the gasket. Most trophy shops have this ability even if they don't know it. Additionally, I get gasket material from Napa and O'Reilly Auto.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have chunks of stick hose. Let me know and i'll lop off a section and send it to ya.

Dipstick

Funny, I replaced my cooling manifold gaskets and hoses just last fall. I've made many a centrifugal split case pump gasket myself using a ball peen, but a set of punches is invaluable. I also bought a gasket cutter & board set for making round transfer case gaskets. These are tools you may not use often, but they pay for themselves the first time you need them and I can pass them on to my son one day. Has anyone heard of a spray product that I think used to be called something like "gasket chisel"? I haven't seen it in decades, but that stuff used to dissolve old frozen gaskets stuck to metal like they were warm snot. Sure beats scrapping them off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks