• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water/Methanol Injection, anyone??

Terrh

Never ran it on a diesel - have used it on several turbocharged cars.

Not worth it unless you are pushing the engine /hard/. Like double stock HP or more.

The FMTV has a decent intercooler and not a ton to gain from water/meth injection.

snowtrac nome

the water meth injection is just a chemical after cooling, the evaporation will drop your inlet air temps. where it would likely have an advantage is if you really turned up the fuel and you were trying to control the combustion chamber temps here would be small gains with a stock engine but you would never feel them in the seat of your pants a little more fuel and compound turbos would likely get you more noticeable performance

coachgeo

One place it might help??? and guess could be done with water alone..... is an occasional cleaning of cylinders. Propane inject for long up grades might help though?

Jon Walker

I have an extra water meth kit from coolmist and a 10 gallon tank. I will be installing water meth on my truck. I live at 6,000 feet above sea level and have mountains to climb to 10,000+ feet. I am installing the kit to keep EGT down on long climbs.

My engine is 225hp mechanical injection. I will install and tune it once I figure out where to hook it all up.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is reply from AEM, a leading manufacturer of these systems. "[FONT=&quot]What are the peak boost levels you see with the Cat 3116 engine? What exactly are you trying to achieve with running a water methanol kit? Our water methanol controllers for turbo diesel applications are map based. The controllers have an internal map sensor which will pick up a boost pressure and spray the water methanol accordingly. This all comes down to the range of your boost pressure and when you would like to activate the spray. Please see the link below for more information on our water methanol kits for turbo diesel applications.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.aemelectronics.com/produ...thanol-injection-kit-for-turbo-diesel-engines[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Best regards,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matt Cruz[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Technical Support[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AEM Performance Electronics

I replied I was looking to lower the engine temps on long full load pulls like hills. Anyone know what 'boost' level the CAT 3116 runs at normally?

Pointman
[/FONT]

Aernan

I just contacted banks. They recommend their kit. Looks like Snowperformance also has a kit. Also found videos and links to GMC topkick tuners that run these systems.

From all that research it looks pretty common. It also looks fairly safe because it does not change the timing at all. If you don't increase fuel delivery you won't improve max hp numbers but you can reduce exhaust had temp and improve fuel efficiency. So low risk.

The most exciting thing I found is that when under high loads like towing and hill climbs it can improve fuel efficiency as much as 3-4 mpg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Aernan

more digging turns up the dodge duramax 6.6 is a very similar engine from what I am reading. It runs 22-24 psi stock. With software mods 26-30. Block can handle 45.

scottmandu

A claim of nearly 50% fuel economy increase with water injection is thermodynamically impossible. Water injection can in certain instances reduce power as water is not combustible and thus does not contribute to the heat output of the engine. Methanol is mixed with water to negate this affect. Running water/methanol on an engine that doesn't need it makes for a risky proposition.

Aernan

I'm not defending their claims but I don't know what base MPG they were getting before injection. From my reading it looks like you can increase injected quantities up to a point and you get quench which is not destructive it just causes loss in power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks