• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water power deuce?

ODdave

Ok, since i have joined this site i have constanly seen new threads on re-powering the deuce. I have seen 5.9 cummins, 8.3 cummins, caterpiller, detroits, internationals, duramax, 6.2 gm, olds engines, chevy engines, ford engines, (seen a dodge 318 in person....) engines that are way to big , etc.

Well seeing these all of the time and looking through pictures of old iron, i couldn't help but wonder. Is there anyone out there who has succesfuly built a steam powered deuce? I understand that it is impractical and probly under powered but the style of the truck shure fits the bill. And you have to admit, them ole steem engines have an awsome sound mached by none other when you work em hard !

Flyingvan911

That would be very tough. You'd have to fill the bed with fuel and a boiler. Then you need a condenser to collect the steam and get it back into the boiler as water. Very expensive and only useful if you want to turn your deuce into a cab forward steam locomotive.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thanks.....all I needed was another hare brained concept to keep me up at night.:cookoo::roll:

IMHO the best way to make that work would be to use the steam engine to run a electrical genny and then run the deuce with an electric motor mounted where the multi is now....you could still use the clutch/driveline/rear ends.

Using a large AC traction motor (like the railroads use now) would prob give you enough power to run a loaded truck.

Using liquid fuel would be best but coal or wood might work. It would still be a multi fuel since the boiler could burn just about anything. Prob wouldn't have a very long range unless you had fuel and water staged along a fixed route.

It's a cool concept for a survival movie or series.

You could mount the engine in the bed behind the cab......if you used the M36 platform you would still have a full sized bed behind the power plant.

ODdave

Gimp, now last night (when i got side tracked at the local watering hole:beer:) it would have been a steem powered air craft.
But back to the subject at hand, I am interested in your last solution, If you have any pic's on the "gathering of hot air" concept i would be interested.....Also, is it the hotter the chick the hotter the air?

WM, I dont know alot about steam so it was just a thought for me but would direct driving the trans from the engine be out of the ? , how do the old tractors work?. It would be alot for a single person to do but it would be a sweet project for a tech school.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wrecker is really thinking about this, that right there should tell you whether it's a good idea or not.aua

Flyingvan911

Just google "union pacific steam turbine locomotive." Pentrex also made a documentary called "Union Pacific's Mighty Turbines." They were pretty powerful.

Why not just get a nuclear reactor and put it in the bed? you would get upwards of a decade out of those plutonium rods and I think you would only have to change the water once every few months. BUT BE CAREFUL WHERE YOU DUMP IT. You already have a radioactive Deuce at this point so lets keep it off the NRC's radar and dump that waste right back inside the tank for your stock multifuel to burn.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is pretty heavy regulations and annual inspections for anything steam powered even at the hobby level. Go to a tractor show and talk to someone with a steam tractor about the saftey requirements and you will realize why there is not a steam powered duece . They tend to explode easily .

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
WM, I dont know alot about steam so it was just a thought for me but would direct driving the trans from the engine be out of the ? , how do the old tractors work?. It would be alot for a single person to do but it would be a sweet project for a tech school.
The old steam powered tractors (or traction engines if you prefer) were huge lumbering beasts that shook the ground when they moved along the ground.

The new boilers are a lot safer than the old ones......you still have to be mindful of the line pressure.

The biggest problem of hooking the engine straight to the driveline would be hooking it to the flywheel (which tend to be huge on a steam engine) and the slow acceleration from a stop.

That's why I suggested the electrical aspect.....the engine could maintain a steady speed and the electric motor would give you quicker acceleration.

As far as turbine powered trucks check out this: Gas Turbine Trucks! Biglorryblog discovers the Freightliner 'TurboLiner' thanks to Hank's Truck Pictures, CF and the T Brad Dunkin Collection! - Biglorryblog

ODdave

There is pretty heavy regulations and annual inspections for anything steam powered even at the hobby level. Go to a tractor show and talk to someone with a steam tractor about the saftey requirements and you will realize why there is not a steam powered duece . They tend to explode easily .
IIRC, from reading other posts, the multi explodes pretty easy as well:D
I wonder how the road/ fuel tax would work?
Keep in mind guys, its just a thought
WM, If you by chance do this, there is a for shure road trip in my future!!!!

Last edited:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See Jay Leno about steam powered cars...
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g1fBt1e-tI[/media]

Technically, it's not water powered, but will run on anything that burns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks