• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Pump Part Numbers

carter262

So Friday my 1984 M1009 started blowing coolant everywhere. I was just down the road from the house and limped home. I washed everything down so I could isolate the leak.

I the mean time I started reading. I try to read on here before starting a project to see other peoples' experiences and tips. I a lot of great knowledge, thanks for sharing.

So everything dried off and I isolated the leak. The leak is coming from the front of the water pump and from behind the pulleys. It is pouring coolant, not dripping. Until this happened I have never noticed any fluid under the vehicle (i.e the weep hole leaking). I also checked the movement of the fan, as recommended on here, and have no movement front to back.

I am still assuming that the water pump is shot. :(

So in reading here and the tech manual I know what needs to be done. The main problem that I and running into is making sure I get the correct parts prior to starting.

I have found the following:
GM # 23500133 PUMP,COOLING SYSTEM Number 8

Fig 31
TM9-2320-289-34P

AC DELCO Part # 252-611

NAPA has four different water pumps that cross reference the AC Delco number.
O'Reilly's has at least three different water pumps that cross reference the AC Delco number.

There are no differences list between the pumps but a lot of different prices. Also I have not been able to cross reference the GM #.

What water pump did you use? brand and part number. Where did you buy it?

Thanks for the help.

Haoleb

I just did my water pump a couple weeks ago. Purchased a new one from Napa P/N TFW 44099

It was a gates water pump. I used Fel-Pro Gasket set P/N TCS45554 Which includes the water pump gasket and the water pump plate gasket along with a couple others you may or may not ever need. I did not use the gasket that came with the pump because the fel pro one felt like better quality.

I used Loctite 592 thread sealer on all of the bolts.

carter262

I just did my water pump a couple weeks ago. Purchased a new one from Napa P/N TFW 44099

It was a gates water pump. I used Fel-Pro Gasket set P/N TCS45554 Which includes the water pump gasket and the water pump plate gasket along with a couple others you may or may not ever need. I did not use the gasket that came with the pump because the fel pro one felt like better quality.

I used Loctite 592 thread sealer on all of the bolts.
Any problems with it?

cucvrus

DSCF7494.jpgDSCF7509.jpgDSCF7511.jpgDSCF7510.jpgDSCF7506.jpgDSCF7504.jpgI just did a CUCV M1008 yesterday. I have put several dozen of the Autozone New water pumps on. Never had the same truck twice. They are warranted for life and less then $100. for everything. Beats a stick in the eye. This M1008 had the OEM pump and 120K on it. I run it everyday. IMHO Good Deal.

carter262

Thanks for the replies.

How long did it take from start to finish? Just curious what I should expect.

For anyone else looking or having this problem here are some part numbers pulled from this thread and others.

Water Pump
Original GM: 23500133
AC Delco: 252-611
NAPA: TFW 44099 (Tru-Flow)
AutoZone: WP-598 (Duralast)

Gasket Kit
NAPA: TCS 45554 (FEL-PRO) timing cover gasket Kit, Includes water pump gasket.
NAPA: ES72674 (FEL-PRO) water pump gaskets

Last edited:

cucvrus

I was not really cranking. But about 4 hours. I done a lot more then I had to just as PM. I changed the cross over manifold gaskets and all the hoses. I took about 7 hours of my time. I was not in a hurry. I cleaned every part nut and bolt in the parts washer and redesigned the heater hose routing. Saves a lot of time if you have a scaffold to stand on and just keep the radiator and fan shroud in place. Not need to remove. I used all hand tools no cordless tools or power wrenches.DSCF7491.jpg

Haoleb

Thanks for the replies.

How long did it take from start to finish? Just curious what I should expect.

For anyone else looking or having this problem here are some part numbers pulled from this thread and others.

Water Pump
Original GM: 23500133
AC Delco: 252-611
NAPA: TFW 44099 (Tru-Flow)
AutoZone: WP-598 (Duralast)

Gasket Kit
NAPA: TCS 45554
The gasket kit is a FelPro part number but napa has it listed as FPG TCS45554. This is not the gasket set that comes up when you search for a water pump but I used this P/N because It also includes the front crank seal which I had also replaced. It was more bang for my buck and I have some extra gaskets on hand if I need them.

For just the water pump job the FelPro ES72674 would be a better buy at just less than half the cost.

carter262

The gasket kit is a FelPro part number but napa has it listed as FPG TCS45554. This is not the gasket set that comes up when you search for a water pump but I used this P/N because It also includes the front crank seal which I had also replaced. It was more bang for my buck and I have some extra gaskets on hand if I need them.

For just the water pump job the FelPro ES72674 would be a better buy at just less than half the cost.
Thanks for the correction.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was not really cranking. But about 4 hours. I done a lot more then I had to just as PM. I changed the cross over manifold gaskets and all the hoses. I took about 7 hours of my time. I was not in a hurry. I cleaned every part nut and bolt in the parts washer and redesigned the heater hose routing. Saves a lot of time if you have a scaffold to stand on and just keep the radiator and fan shroud in place. Not need to remove. I used all hand tools no cordless tools or power wrenches.View attachment 642146
I use the same type stand to work on mine.
Used it yesterday
So much easier being elevated.

shotty

I was not really cranking. But about 4 hours. I done a lot more then I had to just as PM. I changed the cross over manifold gaskets and all the hoses. I took about 7 hours of my time. I was not in a hurry. I cleaned every part nut and bolt in the parts washer and redesigned the heater hose routing. Saves a lot of time if you have a scaffold to stand on and just keep the radiator and fan shroud in place. Not need to remove. I used all hand tools no cordless tools or power wrenches.View attachment 642146
Apologies for bumping an old thread, but what did you do to redesign the heater hose routing @cucvrus

Dispatcher7

Am I seeing the cross over tube gaskets in this kit? FPG TCS45554

Anyone know the diameter of the short hose between the pump and cross over tube?

Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks