• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

water pump rebuild

drlogistics

Anyone ever re-build the water pump for the 302 with the re-build kit from Memphis Equipment? The TM makes it seem pretty easy but what exactly is glass cement?

butch atkins

Crazy I pad thingy maybe operator error.back to where I was.You can buy a new manufacture not a rebuilt one from PEP BOYS auto parts for around 60.00 .take yours with you they will try to tell you that the one for aGMC 270 will work .then tell them to pull the special order catalog out and look for the GMC part# YT 839012 PUMP Water assy.took about a week to get it .I also took the ORD 9 book with me and the young lady was able to understand what I wantedtook about 30 min.watching her lean over the counter looking thru catalogs was highlite of the trip!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

drlogistics

Thank you very much Butch. The closest Pep Boys is about 30 miles from here. I wonder if Auto Zone or Advanced Auto would be able to get it. I assumed a new pump would be around $200. That made the $30 re-build kit make sense. But if I can get a new one for $60 then its a no brainer.

drlogistics

I haven't had any luck finding a new water pump at that price, even though I didn't look very long. So I ordered the re-build kit from Memphis Equipment. Besides, I enjoy tinkering so I'm looking forward to re-building it. Just one question. In TM 9-8025-1 in the water pump re-build section (pg. 110) it says to "Coat seal surface on inside of impeller hub with glass cement". Anybody know what they meant by glass cement?

SturmTyger380

I think that is to make the surface where the seal rides smooth. There was a recent post on the G503 where a guy rebuilt a Jeep water pump and it leaked very soon. They where asking him if he finished the surface where the seal rode and he did not. Not sure what glass cement is. The threads for making fiber glass is sometimes called glass. Might it be some sort of epoxy?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Putting a re-build kit in the older pumps is not rocket science. I have done a 211, several times. It helps if you have a press, so your not pounding on the shaft. There will be a sequence that you need to follow, both on dismantling and on assembly. Be sure to follow that. Still today, many Ag engines use Kits, to re-build the water pumps. Its not that big a deal. Go for it.

drlogistics

Thanks for the confidence boost rosco. Did you use "glass cement" to attach the seal assembly to the impeller hub? If so, what is glass cement?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to find an old translation mechanic for this one. I don't know what it is yet but I see they reference it on page 109 as well.

'''''Remove all particles of gasket from body flange and plate. Make sure all traces of old cement are removed from seal surface inside impeller hub on pump of type illustrated in figure 81.""""

Then again on page 110,

""""""(3) Assemble impeller, seal and seal washer. Coat seal surface on inside of impeller hub with glass cement, then place seal assembly (F) in hub impeller....."""""

I buzzed through a bunch of water pump rebuilding websites and threads but haven't found the words "glass cement" anywhere else,..... :sad:

So what is 'glass cement'?

Last edited:

nattieleather

When I worked as a glazer we used glass cement which was basically contact cement in a tube so it was a little thicker than the can. Barge Cement or Seal All come to mind as two of the brands we used. I'm not sure if this is what they ment or not in the manual. A google search didn't bring up anything different other than GIC which is a dental product that is called glass cement, but it was invented in 1972 so I'm pretty sure that isn't what the manual is talking about.

SturmTyger380

The Water pump can be bought at O'Reilly's they have to order it, part # 839012. Comes in a box that says Master Pro CP36. The cost is up to $89 now but it is totally new and you don't turn a core in.

If they need a vehicle to look up they can choose 1956 GMC 150 base with the L6 - 4.4L 270ci. It uses the same water pump. It will pull up the CP36w but it comes with a pulley, you want the CP36 with no pulley.

Alan

drlogistics

Thanks for the part number. There isn't an O'Reilly's very close to me so I just called them on the phone. After about 30 minutes I gave up. I'm assuming the new pump doesn't come with the fan hub? But that's pretty easy to press on/off. Does it also come with a new gasket?

SturmTyger380

The fan hub for the M211 does not look like any of the ones for the GMC or Chevy truck fan hubs I have seen. So I will have to press off and on the old one for my truck.

It does come with the gasket.

When the guy at O'Reilly's keyed in the part number he said it was not at their warehouses and that he would have to e-mail someone about ordering it. I went by the next day and he had a response that it could be ordered. We did that and 3 days later it was in their store.

drlogistics

That hub is really easy to take on and off. And it is much beefier than the hubs that were on the civy trucks. There was a civy hub on my truck when I got it so I went to Epay and got the military version. Much sturdier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks