• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water Pump Seals

hoopsoft

Hello everyone, long time lurker.. First time poster..

I've never needed to post because, well usually my questions have already been asked and answer, you guys are such a wealth of information.

But I can't seem to find this question so.....

Picked up my deuce on Friday.. yeah, think it was won in July, wow took forever. but..

I seem to be losing coolant out the weep hole on the water pump, is there a seal/rebuild kit, and will I have to pull the radiator to get it out. (Seems like I will)

I pulled out a stump that my poor little jeep couldn't budge, the deuce didn't even know it was there.. (and it didn't seem to notice the trash can I backed over either.. lol)

Barrman

My A2 from OKC had some pretty colorfull old looking coolant in it. Go with a new pump, new belts, hoses and add a coolant filter. Then make sure you use distilled water when you mix in the new stuff. Actually, it is cheaper to buy the pre-mixed stuff they sell now days. Plus, the addative for diesel engine cooling systems.

hoopsoft

Oddly enough, this has new hoses and new radiator and looked like fresh fluid, maybe they tried to fix this leak, or I could be mistaken where its leaking from, but pretty sure I see it coming from the weep hole.

Barrman

Grab the fan blade and try to make the pump wiggle front to back. If it is solid, my guess is your truck sat for a long time and the seal is just getting used to having work to do again. Most of them however have loose shafts as well. That is why I suggested the new pump.

hoopsoft

I was hoping the same thing about it have sat, I have to add about 1 gallon for every 15 miles.. I have drove it probably 60, seems to be getting a little worse, so guess its time to change that dude.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be silicate drop out. That happens when the SCA's are too high. Crystals form between the ceramic discs of the seal and force the seal open. SOMETIMES, you can drain the coolant, intall plain waster run it a bit and it will stop. More often then not, the pump will get replaced. Before you re-install the coolant...if you re-use it, have it checked. If you put it back in in an over concentrated form, the new pump will leak just like the old on in short order.

WillWagner said:
Could be silicate drop out. That happens when the SCA's are too high. Crystals form between the ceramic discs of the seal and force the seal open. SOMETIMES, you can drain the coolant, intall plain waster run it a bit and it will stop. More often then not, the pump will get replaced. Before you re-install the coolant...if you re-use it, have it checked. If you put it back in in an over concentrated form, the new pump will leak just like the old on in short order.[/quote

Will, Thank you for passing your knowledge on to us.
I have been in and under trucks all my life and this info on silicate drop out has never passed thru my ears. Maybe i have lived a shelterd life!
Thanks Will!

hoopsoft

If you put it back in in an over concentrated form, the new pump will leak just like the old on in short order.
Outstanding information, because the coolant looks so clean I was going to reuse it.

This whole time I did believe it was straighten antifreeze not diluted because its as bright green as can be. Didn't know it could do that. When you say test it, you mean with just a little tester with the floating balls.

hoopsoft said:
If you put it back in in an over concentrated form, the new pump will leak just like the old on in short order.
Outstanding information, because the coolant looks so clean I was going to reuse it.

This whole time I did believe it was straighten antifreeze not diluted because its as bright green as can be. Didn't know it could do that. When you say test it, you mean with just a little tester with the floating balls.
I think the test Will is talking about is the little strips that are availible at all truck supply places and some auto part supply stores.
I thought we allways called them DCA test strips.
they do have a shelf life so watch the date on the bottle (or box).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks