• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Water truck questions. M923a2?

kstevens

Hello I am pretty new to this site.. But need help! Me and my family run a water well business in which we need to haul wa ter to drill... We need to upgrade the water truck and need to haul 2500 - 3000 gal of water. Found a M923a2 and have seen pics on the Internet of 5 ton trucks hauling up to 4500 gal.. But the tm I found says 20,000 lbs on road. Am I missing something? Any input would help! Thanks in advance

Kody

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed your title. We try to reserve the HELP for when you are broke down on the road or when your life may be in danger.

A few questions. Why do you need an MV? Are you on solid roads of off road? Are you using a tanker trailer for the water?

kstevens

Ok thanks for changing my title I didn't realize that. But we are currently using a m35a2 and love it but it can only haul about 1300 gal which results in many trips.. We need a 6x6 vehicle because we are often Drilling in blow sand and our Drilling rig gets stuck. Plus we need get the water truck next to the rig where ever we are to start Drilling.. I would really like to haul the water in the bed because of room issues especially in ppls backyard where there is little room. Thanks for responding so fast!

Ford Mechanic

5 ton rating on a M939 series truck refers to off road, it's 10 tons on road. But as these MV's are extremely over built it's common to see them well past the military's rated payload. Not that I'm condoning it :whistle:. It'll defenitly hold 2x what you haul in your M35.

water is close to 7lbs a gal if memory serves correct.
1300 gal H2o=9100lbs What your hauling now with a M35
5 ton =1428 gal H2o Off road rating of a M939
10 ton = 2857 gal H2o On road rating of a M939
4500 gal H2o= 15.75 tons What your goal is........

That's quite a bit more than they rated it at can't say I'd push it that far.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Besides the weight, the roll over potential with 4500 gal in the bed is very high. Fire departments usually only carry around 1200gal and have issues with that.

Here is a webpage for a company that retrofits MV for fire department use. They have done the studies and have a good idea on how to keep it safe.

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/

And here is a document that lists some of the specs

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/Project 63_6x6 Wildland Fire Engine.pdf

They even have a calculator to help design a truck system

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/Detailed calcultor truck chassis.html

Last edited:

ralph3162

I work in the Oil Field and I can say with absolute certainty that water weighs 8.33 lbs per Gal. Thus 4500 Gal. H2O = 37,485 lbs or 18.7425 ton

Last edited:

quickfarms

Are you hailing off road or on the highway?

There was a discussion about this same issue not long ago.

There is a big difference between water trucks used for fire fighting and water trucks used for construction.

Your drill rig is probably top heavy.

kstevens

Ok thanks to everyone for the input.. Definitely want to stay away from the 4500 gal mark.. But want to try to get closer to 2400.. And to answer other questions both Highway and off-road, most of the rougher terrain is sand.. Has anyone had trouble with these trucks? We need something that will last, really like the Cummins combo...

kstevens

Also 2500 gal would be almost a thousand pounds over the government payload rating of 10 tons (on road) as long as I register the truck to be hauling that weight would I be OK? Or is that a set limit that is not to be exceded under any condition?

quickfarms

Also 2500 gal would be almost a thousand pounds over the government payload rating of 10 tons (on road) as long as I register the truck to be hauling that weight would I be OK? Or is that a set limit that is not to be exceded under any condition?
That depends on your state and the dot.

You can not exceed the rated capacity of the tires.

quickfarms

The goverment has drastically under rated these trucks compared to a civilian truck.

In the construction industry they typically put a 4,500 gallon tank on them.

On the highway it is up to your state weather you have to stick to the data plate.

If this was a civilian truck the GVW would be at least 46,000 lb.

We put 2,000 gallon tanks on two axle class 7 trucks, GVW around 32,000 lbs. Street legal.

To drive it on the highway you will probably need a CDL with tanker endorsement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks