• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Watermark - Decision

rizzo

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Watermark - Decision

M1075 said:
Hey, I like the diesel place watermark better! With the background shading and centered on the image, it looks good.
I agree. it looks a lot better. not so cluttered. having two watermarks doesn't do anything. if they want to crop it it is just as easy to get rid of 2 marks.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b213/frankrizzo1972/ssmagnus.jpg

I did a quick crop on MS paint.

mangus580

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Watermark - Decision

Its not about the crop so much as the way I did the watermark, they cant be seen on some images.... so I figured 2 spots worked better.

M1075

FWIW, the design of the dieselplace watermark should show up well on all background colors. Is that hard to do?

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Watermark - Decision

M1075 said:
FWIW, the design of the dieselplace watermark should show up well on all background colors. Is that hard to do?
No, its not. I had previously opted against it, as I thought it was more invasive.

alphadeltaromeo

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Watermark - Decision

One watermark is better in my opinion. Anything can be done to images to modify them with a little effort. One gets the point across just fine for me.

pa.rich

Mike, you are the computer guru here, and whatever you and Chris decide is fine from my viewpoint. I appreciate all your time and work and the thought that goes into your work on this site. Keep up the good work Mike. I get alot of enjoyment from this site. 8)

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I believe most people were more surprised than angry. Personally I find watermarks annoying but the BBS can do what it wants with its copy of my uploaded image.

If the user image is 550x413, then the image is pasted into a 640x480 blank image, the watermarks would not impinge on the art. It would be counterproductive to use a huge or centered watermark and the management has just indicated they do not wish to mess up the images, so this is a reasonable alternative. An interesting backgound may also be used sich as OD green. Good when a technical image is to be uploaded. No reason for so much fuss.

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Watermark - Decision

I'm sorry if anything i posted came across as harsh, I am just concerned about what could happen to the site. If a user is posting images that dont belong to him, like scans of a copyrighted book, for instance, then those images have our watermark put on them. a completely different user saves them and then posts them onto another site, the owner of the images sees us taking credit for his work and decides to shut us down. It could very well happen.

I've said my piece, whatever you decide will be fine.

mangus580

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Watermark - Decision

CCATLETT1984 said:
I'm sorry if anything i posted came across as harsh, I am just concerned about what could happen to the site. If a user is posting images that dont belong to him, like scans of a copyrighted book, for instance, then those images have our watermark put on them. a completely different user saves them and then posts them onto another site, the owner of the images sees us taking credit for his work and decides to shut us down. It could very well happen.
While the scenario is plausible, I doubt we will get shut down over it. Slap on the hand, image removed, etc. sure. Shut down? nope.

take a look at this guys....

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/test7.jpg

I think this is what we will be going with..... That way the poster is tied to the image as well ;-)

N1265

Now how does this work ? will it be applied to all pictures already on the site ? or only those that are downloaded ?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike the test 7 is the best one yet... Don't forget it took God 7 days to make the world so it seems fit to go with that one. The real issue is if I took the picture and it gets watermarked by someone else who cares if it shows my screen name on our site.

You guys are the best moderators on the web no question.

Thanks

mangus580

N1265 said:
Now how does this work ? will it be applied to all pictures already on the site ? or only those that are downloaded ?
I am still debating how to go about this. I would prefer they all get them (so far, only doing forum pictures).

The thing I have yet to figure out, is if I will put the username on all the old pics or not.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, after suggesting it several times, I guess there is no interest, but an answer would be appropriate, how about applying the watermark to images as they are downloaded only and leaving the images on site for clear advertisement free viewing? Downloading in this case, by a visitor or other person as opposed to uploading when we post.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm distracted by the mark, for some reason I associate it with Chris....:)

mangus580

cranetruck said:
Mike, after suggesting it several times, I guess there is no interest, but an answer would be appropriate, how about applying the watermark to images as they are downloaded only and leaving the images on site for clear advertisement free viewing? Downloading in this case, by a visitor or other person as opposed to uploading when we post.
We talked about this in chat a couple times last night. Its not feasibly possible to do it. There is no easy way to determine if the image is being 'downloaded' from the server to display in the forum, or on a site elsewhere. Not to mention, it could create excessive load on the server.

I have yet to see any opposition to example 7. I am going to work on the coding changes to implement that. As chris said in his auction post, we are still fluid on this to a point. And things can be adjusted as needed.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, #7 would be more agreeable, if there must be one at all.
Of course, a real watermark should cover the entire image to do any good, I have cropped any number of images to eliminate "watermarks" along the edges.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks