• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waterproof alternator

GoHot229

Surely there is a marine type 12 volt alternator made by somebody that is waterproof? Or any type of waterproof alternator, I'v searched the web, but come away with nothing, any members recall where they've seen one? or who might have such a unit? The thing is, if you fabricate mounts and us an alternator of the 12 volt variety, you have the water storm under the hood problem with a ordinary type alternator. I dont ford streams or look to do that, but you never know when it might be nessesary to get wetter than you planed on.

metrobus

50 DN Alternator

Delco makes a alternator for motor coach applications called a 50DN, both in 12 and 24 volt versions. It is oil cooled, and puts out around 300 amps at idle. The only problem is that they weigh about 100 lbs, and are very pricey, even if you can find a decent used one.

Militoy

AM General claims their A2 Series electrical system on the HMMWV is completely waterproof. Aside from that - if you've rebuilt a newer-style alternator, you will have noted that both the rectifier pack and the regulator module are completely potted for water and dust resistance. Fresh water doesn't conduct electricity well enough to short out a 12 or 24V system, as long as the dunking doesn't last for too long. What the water Will mess up are the bearings in the alternator - if they aren't well lubed, or well sealed. I've dunked all my trucks and Jeeps at times while deep fording (except the Goat - since the alt is located above the snorkel - and the whole truck floats). As long as the water was fresh, I had no problems. I did go out of my way to look over bearings, and service each truck carefully after crossing through muddy or (especially) salt water. That's a good idea anyway - since unsnorkeled burp valves on the axles, trans and transfer can suck in water as they are instantly cooled during a deep water crossing.

Last edited:

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How and where are you mounting this 12v alternator? I too am looking for this type of mod. I don't even mind if it is not water proof. Maybe it can be mounted high?

ida34

If you are putting it in a MV why not get a A2 humvee alt. It has a 24 and a 12 volt output in the same alt.

powerhouseduece

And that would replace and bolt in where my current alternator is in my deuce? How much do they cost?

Umm... I dont think anything really EVER " just bolts right in" You might have to mave a bracket, but thats not that bad. As for the cost, im not sure. I hope someone chimes in and can give you the specs. of it.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I work with remotely operated vehicles, and those are nothing but circuit boards and hydraulics that have to be rated for up to 10,000 fsw. We use 1 atmosphere "cans" to keep our boards dry. I have an idea for a mod that would involve a can shaft seals and a motor driven shaft to turn the alt, and whips for elec output.