• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waterproofing 1165 top

thoner7

I got my truck over the weekend. It’s been raining and all four seats are soaked. I wasn’t expecting it to be 100% dry but I was expecting it to be somewhat dry!

anyone have any ideas? Can you use seam sealer around the turret? What about filling gaps at the rear corners? Better drip edge over the doors?

• Wow
Reactions: OBX

87cr250r

Canvas? 303 Fabric Guard was the best product for boat canvas. A little expensive, it requires reapplication annually here in California. Maybe more frequently in areas with more rain?

I do not know the specific material you are trying to seal.

thoner7

It’s the 1165 hard top. 4F426E1F-54CD-486C-AD5B-3F89907B060F.jpeg

I think it could be modified it with some welding and stuff. But I’d consider selling the top or whole truck beforE I went to that trouble I think.

Reactions: OBX

thoner7

3 questions:
1- Does anyone know if there’s a breakdown of this top in the TMs? I looked in the 1165 parts TM but nothing came up when searching for top, roof, turret, sponson, wall, nada.

2- can you weld some of these seams and fill-the screw holes without melting whatever rubber seal is in there?

3- what is seam sealer exactly? And does it actually seal seams like it’s name would imply?

87cr250r

If it's riveted or bolted seams that are leaking you could consider sand blasting the seams and painting on a polyurethane or epoxy coating that completely covered the entire seam, rivets, and overlaps onto the surrounding metal. You can't spot repair lapped seams because it's impossible to tell where the leak enters and exits.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None of my M1165 roofs leak water, the roof plug seal is water proof, if its leaking, remove the bolts, pull the plug, clean the old seal off the roof and plug, reseal it with a quality sealant, also apply sealant to the counter sunk bolts.
we just had 2 straight weeks of rain here and not a drop from roof plug…

thoner7

What’s a good quality sealant?

The top inside edge if the passenger seat gets soaked. And water comes in the rear corners, behind where it could get to if it snuck in the doors.

if someone could explain what all these different types of Seam sealer are that would be helpful. I think I’ll use that on some of the bigger gaps and cracks, they paint it with this Durabak smooth bedliner. It’s water proof and can be painted over if it looks stupid. But, I’ll need to fill the biggest gaps in the metal first .

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you slather a whole bunch of junk onto and into your vehicle, why don’t you spray with a hose and identify the leaks, and then post images of what you’re talking about.

nopics

thoner7

I went out in the dark but this is what I could get:

2 shots show the passenger seat getting wet on the tunnel side. It must be soaked from the roof but I haven’t seen any obvious spot it’s coming from.

one shot is near the rear wheel well, it’s leaking real low, and the foam gasket To the left is Saturated.

the shot with the foot in it, is the drivers seat, I think that mainly comes in the door.

I already pulled the rear seats out so I couldn’t show were those were wet, but I do have an idea where water comes in at the top rear corners of the top- there’s a huge gap there .

Attachments

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you going to open it, clean, and reseal or are you going to try to slather product all over it?
If you are going to slather it please don’t post pictures or say that you’re slathering! Right way and wrong way! I will weld my hole up and leak test it and I will never ever slather it with anything. Maybe remove and clean and put butyl tape or windshield sealer and reinstall

thoner7

I don’t know what to do. there’s no TM for this roof I can find, and it seems like a poor design for water run off in general, lots of holes, gaps at the corners, no drip rails on the sides like the original 1045 roofs, etc.

There’s like 30ish bolt holes in the roof and I’m not sure if it comes in from some of those or the turret hole or both. My guess is the bolt holes as they don’t have any sealant around them.

The turret I assume is glued down like a SOB and i suspect won’t come up without a crow bar and sledge hammer. I don’t want to rip it up without being 100% sure that’s the problem.

Plus a lot of the other seams appear to leak too.

I might drive it by a body shop and see what they think can be done. Welding the seams or caulking them in some way might fix it.

OBX

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know what to do. there’s no TM for this roof I can find, and it seems like a poor design for water run off in general, lots of holes, gaps at the corners, no drip rails on the sides like the original 1045 roofs, etc.

There’s like 30ish bolt holes in the roof and I’m not sure if it comes in from some of those or the turret hole or both. My guess is the bolt holes as they don’t have any sealant around them.

The turret I assume is glued down like a SOB and i suspect won’t come up without a crow bar and sledge hammer. I don’t want to rip it up without being 100% sure that’s the problem.

Plus a lot of the other seams appear to leak too.

I might drive it by a body shop and see what they think can be done. Welding the seams or caulking them in some way might fix it.
I don’t know whether you actually have a turret, or rather a factory plug on the hole a turret would be installed. My hardtop has a plug and I have an appointment end of next week to have the entire hardtop sprayed with Line-X. That will encapsulate the top with a membrane totally waterproof.
Estimate is $400ish. Will provide pictures when sprayed.
Maybe it is due only to camera angle, but your doors appear to need proper alignment with door frame.
Good luck solving the water intrusion, not a problem that can’t be resolved.

thoner7

I don’t know whether you actually have a turret, or rather a factory plug on the hole a turret would be installed. My hardtop has a plug and I have an appointment end of next week to have the entire hardtop sprayed with Line-X. That will encapsulate the top with a membrane totally waterproof.
Estimate is $400ish. Will provide pictures when sprayed.
Maybe it is due only to camera angle, but your doors appear to need proper alignment with door frame.
Good luck solving the water intrusion, not a problem that can’t be resolved.
Yes mine is the plug.
Are you having the whole back wall sprayed down into the bed too? That’s what I’m thinking of doing, but some of the gaps between metal, with rubber or foam seals, are quite wide. I wasn’t sure if the bedliner material would span that without cracking

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks