• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Waterproofing question (M1009)

paramilusmc

Amateur 4x4ing question, specifically for my M1009. If your going o ford a river or any body of water where the water level is going over the hood of your vehicle are there any concerns wiht your battery terminals being submerged?

The way i see it, water would short out the electrical. I mean put a positive and negative wire in water, and if your in your up sh** creek without a paddle.

Are vehicles set up differently?

I also have two battery cables running into the cab of the truck providing power to the inverter. These are always hot. Do i have to worry about water getting inside the truck during fording and giving me a stout shock?

Westech

CPL
well there guy.. Unless your batteries are 12 gigga watts I think your going to be ok. Now on the water over the hood. The CUCV was NEVER designed to go under water, your going to F the axles, engine, transfer case, and transmission, and everything else in the truck. A good splash is ok, but don't ever thing a CUCV will take a under water trip and come out ok with out major modifications. None of the electrical is designed to go under water or really get wet for that matter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awe come on Westy, don't you remember all that News footage of CUCVs running underwater during the Katrina storm? They were using them like ROVs!

Ok, maybe it was a dream....:???:

Its such low voltage and so much water the batteries will never over come the resistive properties of the water and make a circuit. Ever watched "junkyard wars"? they had a contest to make submarines. One of the teams made a sub using a sealed DC motor and electric deep cycle batteries to propel it. The batteries were exposed to the water, it proved to be no problem or hazard.

1stDeuce

Yup. batteries don't car about being submerged for the most part. Especially sealed batteries, but for the level of submersion we're talking about here, not big deal. The rest of the truck, now that is another problem entirely. Lots of raised vent lines, intake, etc would be required. I'd make sure the fan clutch isn't froze up. The electrical will be OK, but you'll want to di-electric grease the crap out of everything... And your inverter... it's toast. If I learned one thing about crossing deep water, it's that you occasionally won't make it, and when that happens, whatever is below the water line gets wet. Door seals and vents do NOT hold out water. My old chevy equalized inside and out in about 30 seconds... Not much time to get the thumb screws out of a CB and a HAM radio before they get wet... On the plus side, once the vehicle fills full of water, it sometimes finds the necessary traction to move again... Blazers at least like to float the tail if the water gets high on the door. :)
C

Crash_AF

I've forded a few rivers in my wheeling adventures. It's more about technique than anything.

You want to maintain a slow, steady forward progress rather than charging in. The idea is to form an air pocket in front of the engine when the water is over the hood. Be careful if you get stuck, because the water can cause the fan to bend into the radiator.

Main electrics are typically not a problem in the water. The inverter will die if it gets wet, but that's like any other electronic equipment.

Make sure you do good PM after dunking your vehicle. Water intrusion into the diffs, transfer case, and hubs will cause problems if not cleaned out in a prompt manner.

I would not hesitate to take a CUCV into headlight deep water if needed.

Later,
Joe

kassim503

If you do zero modifications you will be able to submerge a stock 1009 up to the bottom of the floorboard under the rear seat. Keep a coffee can handy for your cell phone, and flip your air cleaner so the opening is facing the firewall instead of the fan. Like Crash_AF said remember to check for water intrusion, ESPECIALLY in the trans and motor oils. Water in the transmission will ruin the clutches pretty quickly.

wkbrdngsnw

Run a rubber line from the trans vent up to the cowl area because that is your lowest vent followed by the axles. After that your probably good to the power steering pump level and deeper depending on how well that cap seals.

The G Man

Dude, good advice has been given here. Do what you think is best. Like I used to tell them in the military, do whatever you want as long as you can afford the consequence's (sic)

Water over the hood and he only worried about the batteries? Well in about 50 years when all we have are batteries I can see a worry. Auto trans is what is the bigg NO NO on deep water. If it gets any appreciable amount of water in it, thats where the truck will stop.

kevin-m1008

Don't forget that hydro-locking the motor is usually bad for valves, cranks, rods, pistons ect.... put a snorkel on the intake if you really think your going into deep water

OL AG '89

I have NOTHING educational to add to this thread except, IF you do this or WHEN you do this, if you don't get video I WILL find you and FLOG you within an inch of Westy's life!!!!!
I can see the headline now

Mythical SEA CREATURE seen swimming in San Diego Harbor actually just OVER enthuiastic MV owner... Pictures at 11!!!
When the truck hits the water and the vent lines go under they will become ingress (sp) points for the said water surrounding them. Ask me HOW I know THIS FACT!!!! The water will not be stopped by the little valve on the top of the vent lines.... ASK me how I know this FACT!!!! The trans, xfer case, front & rear axles will SUCK in adequate amounts of WATER.... ASK ME.... you get the point.....
You willl spend several days, if not WEEKS "drying" out the components that should never see water...
If you REALLY want to float around in a MV go buy a DUKW....

jimmy-90

If your wanting to get into watter thats above the hood of your truck then the best place to ask these questions would probly be on something like a swamp buggy racing forum. I read a magazine article about swamp buggy racing a while back that talked about some of the tricks that they use to run their machines in watter that deep. Theres alot to it.

vinny-socom1

I'm also in the process of doing some vent line extensions, I have found the frt & rear vents along with the t/c but did not see one for the trans?? anybody know where it is??

Down here in FL we go thru alot of water so its a must to extend!!

Vinny

TheVanillaGorilla

I got tricked "kinda" into deep water in a civi k5 drop in water over hood came back to windshield for a sec. I I made it out bout 5 miles later going bout 55 up hill on a blacktop the truck just revved and wouldn't pull I pull tranny dip stick and whole tube was full of water. Now on my Ford I have extended everything including oil,tranny dip sticks and measured bout 45" of standing water I can go through.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never forded my CUCV but i have many times with my M35. I have had the batteries under water for hours on end with no problems at all.

CycleJay

So what are we supposed to do when the floods come, like from a T-storm, hurricane, etc?
Just winch our CUCV's high into a tree and leave them there hangin?

Or just add the extensions on every intake, vent tube, etc, and re-do all the gaskets,
(oil pan, tranny, differentials, head & valve cover gaskets, etc..), just to make sure they
can keep the water out?

If & when the next floods come, I doubt they will limit themselves to only 16" deep.
Depending on the neighborhood/s that get flooded, they could be much more
or less than that.

Oh yes, one more idea, I suppose a high as possible lift kit would help too,
that way, maybe your CUCV will be too high for the water to touch it in the first place.

Enough said..