Way Ahead for Kansans to on road title MV stamped Off Road Use

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Jesse Dorman

You see, the owner of title pictured resides in Wichita KS and he somehow got an on road Kansas title, as where in Reno county has still been a no go at our DMV as well as our local KHP inspection office when Humvees are bought out of state with out of state on road titles, things do not add up in my opinion.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You see, the owner of title pictured resides in Wichita KS and he somehow got an on road Kansas title, as where in Reno county has still been a no go at our DMV as well as our local KHP inspection office when Humvees are bought out of state with out of state on road titles, things do not add up in my opinion.

Culture war.

The single biggest determinant as to whether you have a problem at any DMV isn't even what the law states. The single biggest variable is whether the person behind the counter thinks you should be able to own it. Those in petty positions of power love a nice complex grey regulation. This allows them to arbitrarily deny.

Laws do not permit things. Laws prohibit or mandate. In the absence of a law prohibiting something it should be permitted. I am not aware of any Kansas law prohibiting the titling or on road registration of hmmwvs or other military vehicles.

So some DMV denies in the absence of legal basis. Legislation is proposed as the remedy. What is desired is black letter law mandating that DMV title and license them. Unfortunately, by putting it in front of lawmakers, we're as likely to get black letter law prohibiting them as we are to getting black letter law forcing the DMVs to title them.

Jesse Dorman

Culture war.

The single biggest determinant as to whether you have a problem at any DMV isn't even what the law states. The single biggest variable is whether the person behind the counter thinks you should be able to own it. Those in petty positions of power love a nice complex grey regulation. This allows them to arbitrarily deny.

Laws do not permit things. Laws prohibit or mandate. In the absence of a law prohibiting something it should be permitted. I am not aware of any Kansas law prohibiting the titling or on road registration of hmmwvs or other military vehicles.

So some DMV denies in the absence of legal basis. Legislation is proposed as the remedy. What is desired is black letter law mandating that DMV title and license them. Unfortunately, by putting it in front of lawmakers, we're as likely to get black letter law prohibiting them as we are to getting black letter law forcing the DMVs to title them.
Hopefully a permanent solution can be passed as to where every DMV is notified it's a green light to tag these bad boys. Otherwise, I may of just bought a $20,000 toy that will never see the highway.

Reactions: 98G

TMOMW

We have a M35a3 and a hmmwv,
maybe we’re lucky that nether one
said”off road only”
ONLY HMMWVS that were sold under 1 contract (there are many contracts) were stamped "off road only" by iron planet. no other vehicles prior or after were. i cleared that up with the head of the KS lic branch after the hearing. she now knows what a bunch of BS that is and will be telling her local offices to disreguard the stamp after the bill passes.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ONLY HMMWVS that were sold under 1 contract (there are many contracts) were stamped "off road only" by iron planet. no other vehicles prior or after were. i cleared that up with the head of the KS lic branch after the hearing. she now knows what a bunch of BS that is and will be telling her local offices to disreguard the stamp after the bill passes.
Wasn't it the DLA and not GP that stamped the SF97? I just looked on GP and a bunch that sold this month plus in Dec
have ORUO restriction as shown below on them, only the private sale and the former USMC HMMWV in Albany, Georgia and Yermo, California don't.
Thank you for making to the hearing.​
Notices & Restrictions
Notices & Restrictions

This item is offered for Off-Road Use Only.
Buyer will be required to sign a Hold Harmless Agreement.
Buyer is required to submit an End-Use Certificate (EUC) to be reviewed prior to removal of the item.First-time buyers of Demil B,D,E,F,Q, OR C items may experience an extended review period in the Trade Securities approval process.
GovPlanet is only permitted to sell Demil B,D,E,F,Q, OR C items within the United States and only to U.S. citizens.
Security requirements and restrictions may apply at the time of pickup. See shipping terms for details.
Specific terms & conditions apply. See details.
Items may be subject to U.S. export controls. See details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks