• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about the painting issue for a moment and have more questions for you.

How were these war vehicles produced back in the day? Were they delivered with OD paint applied in the usual civvy manner at the factory or were they painted specially for military use? Were components left with their natural finish or were the vehicles given the all over coverage?

It is interesting to consider this aspect of restoration. Unless we were there, back in the day, inspecting these trucks as new arrivals to the motor pool, we cannot know the condition they were delivered in. We only know them from their condition after service when they have been painted and repainted before DRMO sells them off.

I am interested in your perspective on this issue.

Rick

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TWM,

I have a procedural/historical/philosophical question for you on your restoration, based entirely on my inexperience with such matters.

All the trucks I have seen from the military are all painted as an assembly. Every nut, bolt, hose, brake line, hose clamp and so on are painted after the assembly is complete. Maybe the trucks came from the factory this way, or maybe they were repainted out in the various work shops after they were deployed. I don't know.

Will you squirt another coat over the assembled chassis or leave the hoses, lines and master cylinder alone?

Rick
No, there were numerous colors and finishes on the original WC51. Who would have thought the engine would be off white? The lines will stay their current finishes.

zout

Ditto TWM - many colors and shades of OD when you search and look up sites that try to duplicate these colors.

TWM is what I call farther than restoring a vehicle - he has it better than the truck ever rolled off the assembly line for battle.
His indeed is going to be a showpiece when its completed.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
"TWM is what I call farther than restoring a vehicle - he has it better than the truck ever rolled off the assembly line for battle.
His indeed is going to be a showpiece when its completed."

Indeed, and I'm so happy he is leaving me that vehicle in his will!!:beer:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wind eased a bit this afternoon so I got some parts painted and the super heavy 12V generator installed. Next is to install the water pump pulley, fan and belt and then the radiator cowl pieces and the radiator. The rest of the day is dedicated to Mrs. TWM who celebrates a birthday this next Friday and her main present is a trip to Zout's BBQ. Lucky girl!! 8)

12V-Generator.jpgMisc.-Parts.jpgMore-Pieces.jpgShroud-and-Radiator-Support.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got a little done today before we get ready to fly to Atlanta early tomorrow morning. Got the radiator support, radiator, fan pulley, fan and belt installed. Then the shroud and radiator cowl. On hold now until after the BBQ. Yum Yum. :-D

Radiator.jpgShroud-View.jpgRadiator-Cowl.jpg

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Got a little done today before we get ready to fly to Atlanta early tomorrow morning. Got the radiator support, radiator, fan pulley, fan and belt installed. Then the shroud and radiator cowl. On hold now until after the BBQ. Yum Yum. :-D
OK wait...are you coming tomorrow (Thursday) or Friday....I'm confused...as usual.:roll:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not surprising :roll: We are coming in tomorrow and going to my Aggie's (the wife) sisters house. Friday we will celebrate my wife's birthday and then get down to the real purpose of going on Saturday. Smell that BBQ already.

zout

Good Question - I sure don't know who this fella is building this but he sure does not keep his build thread very up to date - :popcorn:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys found me out. I actually restoring a 1984 Yugo and is it sweet!! Unfortunately I have been side tracked sending reference material to Zout. Today I am in Houston selling Brazilian Cuts to the ladies for 5 cents ea. Will get back on the WC on Monday.

ScrewtheLemonadeStandThisKidisaGoGetter-93047.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, experienced the good and bad today. Got the new Data Plates with stamping from Poland and they turned out great. Then I changed out the head gasket on the engine to address a water leak. Got everything reassembled and tried to start her up. Cranked very slowly and thought it was the battery. Jumped it and the same. Then the started just died. Was able to start the engine previously with the starter. Removed the starter and took it apart. Beside 60 years of crud on the inside, it was obvious that the 4 brushes were toast and some were not every touching the armature shaft. Checked out the armature on the growler and it tested good and the field coil also look good. Contacting MWM for parts tomorrow. Do not want to spend $350 for a rebuilt started if I can avoid it. Need new brushes and the bushing on the rear armature plate. Here some photos of the plates.

Old-and-New-Data-Plates.jpgPublications-Plate.jpgMain-I.D.-Plate.jpg

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got some decent weather today with little wind. About 98 degrees so I thought it would be perfect for sandblasting. Did some repairs to the WC hood areas and removed the rotted center hinge so I can rivet in a new replacement hinge on Wednesday. Finished the first half before noon but decided to wait for this evening for the other half. Cleaned up the first half with a Scotchbrite pad and applied some Phospho to dry overnight. Will clean the halves off again tomorrow and apply epoxy primer and rivet the new hinge in. Hopefully I will get the starter repair kit on Wednesday and get that installed. Then it is on to the cab rust repairs.

Sandblast-Area.jpgSandblasting.jpgBlasted-Hood.jpgPhospho-Coating.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks