• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Rick. I live about 60 miles northwest on San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country. 25 acres with that type of view on three sides. The driveway in the shot actually leads to a separate building with houses a bunkhouse, woodworking shop and garage.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got to get back on the project. While waiting for my patch panels to be fabricated, I started to rebuild my ETW1 carb. Got everything disassembled and cleaned and waiting on a new carb kit. The first one I received was wrong so I went into a holding pattern. I labeled everything so I will remember where the parts go. Old age is a b**ch.

All four of my cargo box compartments need work but the battery compartment was the worst. Removed the bad metal and installed the new front fender patch and compartment floor. This cargo box will mount on the cargo frame passenger side. I will tweak everything when the box is re-installed.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Continue to slug away at the rust on the cargo bed. Patched in the floor sections of the rear cargo box and the front battery box on the passenger side. Then I mounted the box and welded in the lower rear corner section of the passenger side. I have the lower front section of the passenger side and the floor pieces of the drivers side.

Also installed cargo bed strips for the wood floor and the tailgate. This was done to make sure the fitment is all square as I install the patches. Once I get all the patches installed, I will remove the cargo bed as a complete unit and sandblast it and then do the body work and paint. The it is one to the cab box.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are shots of the bed strips and the tailgate. I also rebuilt the original AC fuel pump and had it flow tested and then took the radiator in to be cleaned, tested and painted. Get it back tomorrow.

Finally, I disassembled the 12V horn and cleaned and tested it and then blasted it and primed and painted. Sounds great.

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
TWM it's a real pleasure to watch your progress and see the excellent work you are doing to bring that ole battle waggon back to life.

Thank you for sharing your work and the pics.:)

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Dwight. It weighs 5800 lbs and would be too heavy to haul 2400 miles and too slow to drive. But I will be there. ;)

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was able to weld in the corner patch on the passenger front corner. This was area was a disaster due to battery corrosion and rust. The toughest part was forming in the dimple on the side of the box. I am pleased with the result but still will require some body work. Also picked up the radiator after testing and painting and got back my original fuel pump that I sent off to be reconditioned and flow tested.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a good look at my vacuum wiper motors today and think they can be rebuilt. I am trying to find lever arms that fit the wiper blade shaft for manual operation and the small knob that screws into the sliding on/off lever. Anyone know of a possible source?

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got some time today and put the push on to finish the corrosion repairs to the cargo bed of the WC. This has been a much bigger problem and I had to repair all four corners. Since I am not working at "Warp" speed, I took it one corner at a time with the goal of drinking two Miller Lite's by 4pm.

Bed is now repaired, squared up and ready for blasting and body work. That part I really hate. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

zout

I had a girlfriend back in high school that had a rear end about that wide :whistle:

Is this project going to take all year ??? I just want to know so I can stock up on some more Crown for viewing the build - you are costing some of us viewers valuable resources while you slowly stroke along on this.

Patches look great and you are getting there - all you need is time.

Question for you on your seams ????? besides the weld in patch - is the first coat your applying just normal bondo ?

Everything looks pretty well squared up and project looks great. If you would put a bed in the garage I might show up.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't put any bondo on yet Zout. Waiting till I blast the bed. As for the bed, the shop has a full bunkhouse with kitchen, living area, bath and TV area. Fridge is stocked with beer and Crown will magically show up just before your arrival. The only catch is that I want to drink it with you. You may even want to bring that rascal PB. :grd:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmm...ain't ever been to Texas.
Do I need a passport or is a Military ID OK?:popcorn:

Whattaya think Commander Warp? Think they will let us both enter Texas at the same time or should we infiltrate?:whistle:

Do they have cookies in Texas??

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PB, Military ID will do fine unless you cross over at the Mexico and the U.S. boarder. Then you don't need any identification. Bring your kids and they can stay forever and get a free education. rofl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks