• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
PB, Military ID will do fine unless you cross over at the Mexico and the U.S. boarder. Then you don't need any identification. Bring your kids and they can stay forever and get a free education. rofl
That's just great...NOW ya tell me after all four boys graduated years ago and I PAID for all of it!!!!!!:x:x

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something just don't seem right!

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the feeling brother. Two daughters for undergraduate and graduate school. But it was worth it and I did not have to suck on the government nipple. :wink:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been awhile since posting and I wanted to throw up some photos before Zout beats me into submission. Got sidetracked on my transmission with rust issues and had to locate a new main shaft and main drive pinion. Got them and now am waiting on a small interlock pin, at a cost of $1.20, for the upper housing rails. Here are some photos of the tranny with a ton of crud. All the gears cleaned up great but the main shafts and bearings were toast.

Have cleaned an painted the casing and misc. parts the original "light smoke" and I still cannot figure why this was the original color but so be it. Hope to put it back together by the end of this week if the part comes. Here are a few photos:

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In an attempt to further satisfy Commander Warp I did the following. This weekend I went to a sawmill west of Austin and picked up 125 board feet of rough cut oak for the cargo bed. I will mill the rough pieces to the final dimensions in my shop. Wood is not cheap but this was a real buy.

I also pulled the engine today and will take it to my friends shops so we can rebuild the 230 C.I. Flathead. It runs and seems to be in pretty good shape so I am hoping for the best. Now that the engine is out I can remove the cab, cargo bed and get on to the frame. Rust has been a killer. Not that cannot be fixed but sure makes the project drag on.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made some progress over the last two days. Engine is torn down and off to the engine man to clean, dip and install new camshaft bearings, grind and seat the valves, machines the head and re-install and adjust the valves. New crankshaft and rod bearings and piston rings are on the way. All else looked good.

Removed the cargo bed and the cab for further rust repair and body work. Now it is time to attack the frame and repair a sadly rusted crossmember. Every bolt is a adventure. :roll:

Attachments

zout

First queston - seeing as ya ain;t using that torso target - I know what to do with it :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:.

Spanky clean garage - room to work - metal just becconing to be hammered into submission (means leaving you alone) makes my fingers twitch all the way up here.

Assembly is looking awesome and seems you are attacking it wisely.

You know they still make them little white pills with cross's on them so you can stay awake and work on it right ???? sleep is unless with that baby sitting in the garage.

Thought for you - you can use a urethane semi gloss clear coat over that paint to seal it all up.

zout

TWM - what's up with ya over there fella - its been dang near a whole week in dog years with all them pieces laying around and no updated pictures with the chassis DONE and the cab MOUNTED and in PRIMER.

Pitcures are better than words:
:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Don't even post something trival only done this past week its not going to "fly".

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
L1A1 You have good eyes. That is my latest CHL qualification target and most of the rounds are in the center. Zout can't tell because he wears those Kareem Abdul Jabar lenses. :D

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Zout. If it is what you say it is, I am now the "Absolute Slacker" Spent all day taking crap off the frame so I can figure what to do with the corroded crossmember and surrounding frame member. Not real interesting pictures.

Of course, I could just primer the mother, take pictures and move on. Then I would have to strip the primer when am ready to blast the frame. Remember, there is alway a bed here for you. Bring Deb and that old guy from Columbus too. aua

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Zout. If it is what you say it is, I am now the "Absolute Slacker" Spent all day taking crap off the frame so I can figure what to do with the corroded crossmember and surrounding frame member. Not real interesting pictures.

Of course, I could just primer the mother, take pictures and move on. Then I would have to strip the primer when am ready to blast the frame. Remember, there is alway a bed here for you. Bring Deb and that old guy from Columbus too. aua
Zout gets carried away sometimes!:shock:
And thank you for not saying "that ole fat guy from Columbus":D

You are doing an outstanding job Sir!!

Keep up the fire!

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In spite of the 100+ temp today I wanted to get into the shop to put a some stuff in primer to satisfy a certain alpha dog we all know. So Zout buddy, this is for you.
:razz::razz::razz::razz:

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went over to a friends house yesterday who has a ton of old shop tools. He helped me reline my handbrake band using a old relining press. Worked really good and I plan to do my brake shoes later when I remove the drums.

Also finished rebuilding the 4spd New Process tranny today and it shifted smoothly from 1 thru 4th and into reverse but does not want to come out of reverse. I will be taking it to a old timer in San Antonio who worked on these trannys and see what he can tell me. Hopefully it can fixes with some adjustment. If not, I will not be able to back this sucker up. :cry:

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Went over to a friends house yesterday who has a ton of old shop tools. He helped me reline my handbrake band using a old relining press. Worked really good and I plan to do my brake shoes later when I remove the drums.

Also finished rebuilding the 4spd New Process tranny today and it shifted smoothly from 1 thru 4th and into reverse but does not want to come out of reverse. I will be taking it to a old timer in San Antonio who worked on these trannys and see what he can tell me. Hopefully it can fixes with some adjustment. If not, I will not be able to back this sucker up. :cry:
I betcha the reverse nebulizer is outta wack in the shift tower.:cry:

OK...I made that word up but the problem is in the shift tower...in those little cylinder looking thingys on top (forgot what they are called).

I betcha that's where the problem is.:beer::beer:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Certainly could be PB. I did put new shift rails in and they slide easily in the housing. It may be the ball bearings and springs or interlock pins. I will get some help on Friday because I have gone as far as my talents will go. Thanks for the suggestions.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While waiting on the tranny and engine, I attacked one of the crossmembers which is badly corroded. Tried to get a donor but could not find one so I cut away the bad stuff and patched it up. Came out like I hoped for and is strong. No one will know unless they read this thread or crawl under the truck. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks