• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WC-51 Restoration or Bust!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
While waiting on the tranny and engine, I attacked one of the crossmembers which is badly corroded. Tried to get a donor but could not find one so I cut away the bad stuff and patched it up. Came out like I hoped for and is strong. No one will know unless they read this thread or crawl under the truck. Here are some pictures.
Shoot...after you prime and paint that rascal everybody will think that repair was made in the 40's and call it a good one!:beer:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quite awhile since my last post but I have been waiting for parts, doing wire harness research and cleaning and painting. The good new today is I received the NOS transmission parts from Amsterdam and installed a new reverse shift fork and rail. After a few adjustments, low and behold I now have reverse to go along with the 4 forward gears. That is one big worry off my mind. Will clean up the tranny and redo the paint and set it aside for installation.

I also got my engine block and head back today. Got it cleaned, boiled ready for paint. All passages were checked and the head and block were machined as required. Did have to sleeve #6 cylinder and had new camshaft bearings installed, a valve job and the then installation and adjustment.

Went over the block today with Acetone and put two coats of engine primer on the block and head and will paint tomorrow. Then full reassembly begins.

Finally I met two fine gentlemen online who provided all the info and diagrams I need to build a top notch wiring harness. That way I will not have to spend upwards of $1,400 for a full harness.

Pictures to follow as engine assembly begins.

TWM

L1A1

Quite awhile since my last post but I have been waiting for parts, doing wire harness research and cleaning and painting.

The good new today is I received the NOS transmission parts from Amsterdam and installed a new reverse shift fork and rail. After a few adjustments, low and behold I now have reverse to go along with the 4 forward gears. That is one big worry off my mind.

No one 'State side had those parts? It's been about ten maybe twelve years since I did my WC51.

Finally I met two fine gentlemen online who provided all the info and diagrams I need to build a top notch wiring harness. That way I will not have to spend upwards of $1,400 for a full harness.

$1400.00 for a full harness?:shock: Wow, think I paid between $650.00 & $850.00 for mine from VWoM Did not realise that they had gone up that much.
TWM
Matt

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No one stateside would admit to having them. VPW and MWM had nothing. It was not really bad. Prices were good and shipping was about a $4 premium. Got the parts within 7 days.

I tried VofM for the harness and they wanted mucho $ and a long leadtime. Total investment will be about $350 but will nor be actual haeness.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished the major portion of the engine rebuild today. Still have to install the clutch housing and clutch, the intake and exhaust manifolds and the crankcase ventilation tubing. Everything turned out good and will be moving it to my shop this week to keep on a stand with the tranny while I attack the frame and cab. The color appears to be very white in the photos but it is the light smoke per the originals WC51's.

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good eyes Dwight. Yes, it is a Chevy 350 that was removed from a pickup. It is one of those rare models with an air conditioning hole in the block. No alot of market for those nowdays. 8)

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That is truly outstanding progress TWM...that rascal is gonna be a show piece for sure.[thumbzup]

I have one question...and please don't think I'm being critical.

Did you have the block bored or trued/honed? It may just be the light but it looks like cylinders # 1,3 and 5 have a small wear "lip" still.
The others look "cleaner".

Won't matter either way as it's above the piston/ring travel...just curious/nosey...LOL:-D

Again...congrats on a fine job well done. Can't wait for the next update!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

For what it's worth Sir, you have earned my utmost respect![thumbzup]

Attachments

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the kind comments PB. The block and head was machined and the ridges (lips) shaved and cylinders honed. I did have to sleeve the #6 cylinder but it came out great. What you are probably seeing on some of the cylinders is oil. I rubbed oil on the cylinders earlier and the camera must have picked it up.

TWM

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, for a variety of reasons I have been distracted from my WC project for a while but I am back at it and trying to make progress everyday. To address surface grooves caused by oil seal wear, I installed Speedi-sleeves on the shafts of my crankcase pulley and the three transfer case flanges. Many thanks to Ron for taking the time to give me pointers on the details necessary to do a good job. I am pleased with the results and will be putting new seals on the T/C tomorrow and installing the flanges.

Speedi-sleeves.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of photos of the refurbished transfer case, pintle hook and the pioneer rack and tools. I replaced all the seals in the T/C and installed the Speedi-Sleeves. I planned to do some sandblasting today but we are having 20-25 MPH winds so I am back to the needle scaler and wire wheel. Supposed to be better tomorrow.

Transfer-Case.jpgCompleted-Parts.jpg

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very nice, TWM. That's the way to do it.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, finally got a break in the weather. We have had heavy humidity and frequent "monkey piss" drizzle but today was a good day. Started sandblasting the WC frame. So much crud and rust from a 67 year old vehicle but I could swear I heard a faint rendition of "Over There" as I was blasting away. Got all the heavy crud and hard to reach areas on the front end. One more day should do the rear. Applied rust inhibitor after blasting and will put the whole frame in primer once the rear is done. I think I have particles in every oriface of my body :-(

Sandblast-1.jpgSandblast-2.jpgSandblast-3.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks